Cleaning a Deer Skull

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was walking around our property yesterday and happened upon a deer skull that a coyote was enjoying. I'd like to clean it since I know my wife would like it. The last time I cleaned a skull was about 25 years ago (**** time flies :oops:. What the hell have I been doing with my life?) so I barely recall what I did. I remember I boiled it (bear skull) for an afternoon and was scraping it for a good while, but don't really recall much after that. So, anyone care to walk me through what I should and should not do?

I can boil it outside on our grill, but my #1 question is should I use a pot that we're ever going to want to use again or is this going to be the swan song for the pot?

Thanks!
20200307_175026.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, 'round here we'd just find a fahr ant mound and place it right in the middle being sure to pi$$ off the ants while you're doing it. Come back in a couple days and it'll be slick and clean as a whistle. (time may vary depending on how big your ant mound is) ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, in TX you could just hang it in the sun and it would dehydrate! Then brush it off. :old Of course, you aren't there!

What did you do about the coyote? He ran and left a meal?? Hope the rest of that animal was somewhere near....doubt it.

Next option -- Borax -- don't even think you need to boil. Pack it in wet Borax. check the net.

Last edited:

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, in TX you could just hang it in the sun and it would dehydrate! Then brush it off. :old Of course, you aren't there!

What did you do about the coyote? He ran and left a meal?? Hope the rest of that animal was somewhere near....doubt it.

Next option -- Borax -- don't even think you need to boil. Pack it in wet Borax. check the net.
You are right, I ain't there.

The spine was severed straight, so I'm guessing this was someone's legit or illegit kill. This section of my property isn't roadside, hence my assumption of coyote dragging it from elsewhere. It's a great distance though across a cornfield, so it's odd.

Never heard of the borax method. I'll check that out

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was walking around our property yesterday and happened upon a deer skull that a coyote was enjoying. I'd like to clean it since I know my wife would like it. The last time I cleaned a skull was about 25 years ago (**** time flies :oops:. What the hell have I been doing with my life?) so I barely recall what I did. I remember I boiled it (bear skull) for an afternoon and was scraping it for a good while, but don't really recall much after that. So, anyone care to walk me through what I should and should not do?

I can boil it outside on our grill, but my #1 question is should I use a pot that we're ever going to want to use again or is this going to be the swan song for the pot?

Thanks!
View attachment 13314
That is so eerie, but somehow I want one too. If it's cleaned properly, I bet that would be a great wall decor in my house. just above the sofa.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Give it to some chickens? Or bury it (and hope coyote or dogs don't dig it up). I had bad results with boiling and with bleach. DH did one where he left the skull in a 5 gallon bucket of water - I think that was for months and it stank. Before we met, I'm fuzzy on the details. Chickens do a righteous good job of picking meat and skin off bones though! :gig

The bone pros like skullsunlimited.com use beetles