Cleaning a Deer Skull

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was walking around our property yesterday and happened upon a deer skull that a coyote was enjoying. I'd like to clean it since I know my wife would like it. The last time I cleaned a skull was about 25 years ago (**** time flies :oops:. What the hell have I been doing with my life?) so I barely recall what I did. I remember I boiled it (bear skull) for an afternoon and was scraping it for a good while, but don't really recall much after that. So, anyone care to walk me through what I should and should not do?

I can boil it outside on our grill, but my #1 question is should I use a pot that we're ever going to want to use again or is this going to be the swan song for the pot?

Thanks!
View attachment 13314
After a very intense cleaning. that would be a very very interesting thing to hang on top of the sofa in our living room.

HomesteaderWife

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I'm late to post, but maybe it can help someone else later on.

I've tried to put a deer skull in an ant bed a few times, and somehow no matter what we do a critter comes along and takes off with it. I've even put heavy weighted buckets over the mound and skull, only to catch a dog in the middle of taking off with it.

Heads up- talking about gross things in case anyone may be sensitive to this type of stuff. You've been warned!

Some people use the beetle method in a controlled situation where they can clean it for you over a period of time. Others will clean by hand and boil off. I tried something in early 2018 deer season when we picked up a bunch of hides- we took a few skulls including a MASSIVE domestic hog skull and placed them inside of a washing machine drum out in the woods away from the house so the smell wouldn't really bother anyone. We heavily weighted down a piece of tin and left this in the woods this way for a year (long turn around time but little work- the critters did it for us). The little holes on the side of the drum and in the tin from old screw holes allowed insects to find their way in- and the end result was an almost mummified skull that peeled away easily, and we then tried peroxide vs. bleach

I've also literally just left skulls out for the scavengers and they cleaned them so fast it was crazy - leaving them in nearly the same area. I've had some turn out really nice this way, though the teeth may be lost in the process and the nasal bone on deer is pretty flimsy and may end up broke. And certain animals may come along and jut gnaw on it....we've been lucky that usually in this scenario, buzzards and beetles are the ones really messing with them.

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I boil mine if I want them cleaned in a hurry, the cooked meat/sinew peels off really easily, no need to have a special pot to do this, its just meat at the end of the day. Or if they are average heads I skin the whole skull and put them on my shed roof and let the fly maggots clean them up.

Latest posts