Cleaning a metal strainer

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love my metal strainer for straining out juices & such when I'm processing fruits & veggies. But it drives me CRAZY to clean it! I never let it sit, so I'm trying to clean it while it's 'fresh', but I feel like it's impossible to get all the bits out of the metal. Any one have any tips for me?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I love my metal strainer for straining out juices & such when I'm processing fruits & veggies. But it drives me CRAZY to clean it! I never let it sit, so I'm trying to clean it while it's 'fresh', but I feel like it's impossible to get all the bits out of the metal. Any one have any tips for me?
Garden hose with sprayer!
Otherwise, I use a bottle brush.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Those strainers are the hugest pain ever- we use it to strain cooked spinach that we add to pasta dishes- the bits of spinach NEVER come out from under the rim. I will be watching for ideas!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sometimes I just let it soak while we eat dinner.

Another trick is holding a cloth under it (right up against the mesh) and rubbing a baking-soda-water mixture against the mesh from the inside.

Cleaning it right away is the easiest, though.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How about a pressure washer outside? That would be a pain in the neck wouldn't it!