Cleaning Cast Iron pans ?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cleaned the gunk off a few pans I got at an antique store in my wood stove when I was building a small fire anyway. I'd heard to do the campfire method to clean them, put them in a roaring campfire. The wood stove cleaned them very well and didn't heat them up to much. I had actually put one in the stove twice to get the crud off one of them it was so bad. It had no visible marks when I bought it. I got it solely because it had the smooth interior. Turned out to be a pre-Griswold "Erie" so I was happy with the $18 it cost me. I love using that pan.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I've got two that somehow were found sitting outside the storage barn here, which is just weird. Anyway, they both have rust on them and we haven't been able to get them off. A friend suggested to take them to someplace that will do sandblasting and then season them.

Having trouble finding/getting to anyone with a sandblaster... anybody else got any ideas? Will a campfire cook rust off?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Send them to Cheerio for when he's having those gusty winds! Maybe that would sand blast em. :hide

Mr.Andersson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I've got two that somehow were found sitting outside the storage barn here, which is just weird. Anyway, they both have rust on them and we haven't been able to get them off. A friend suggested to take them to someplace that will do sandblasting and then season them.

Having trouble findi:Dng/getting to anyone with a sandblaster... anybody else got any ideas? Will a campfire cook rust off?
A Welding shop should have a sandblaster. I do have one, got it from my welder friend.i use it more, cause i'm cheap. I'm more of a tinkerer, I fiddle with old rusty stuff! He buys new stuff, cause he can.

Thanks to all for the answers. Btw, i've been using my iron on a glasstop for 12 yrs!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read somewhere, many years ago, that iron pots/pans that are rusty inside can be cleaned by boiling rhubarb leaves in them. The oxalic acid apparently will lift the rust. I haven't tried this, and I don't remember where I read it, or even if I am remembering correctly. But rhubarb season is coming up, and, no doubt, google can fill in the gaps. If the rust is on the outside, perhaps boiling the rhubarb in a bigger pot, and adding the rusty one?

Edited to emphasize that the leaves of the rhubarb should be used, as they contain the most oxalic acid. Save the stems for rhubarb crumble :lol:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'll have to buy rhubarb this year! Haha!
I really do want to get these pans working, they will be lovely once I've got the rust off and what better to have than FREE! Even if I have to pay someone with a sandblaster to get the rust off, it probably won't equal what I would have paid for these if I found them in a store (well, except maybe for those crazy second hand deals you can find!)

Garp94

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
Not a big thing but many use veggie oil, they claim the liquid oils get into the "grain" of the cast iron better and wipes out easier while excessive solid fats tend to leave ticker coats to char and flake off easier. Placing a pan back on a burner to dry off is the biggest reason I have for reseasoning, electric stove and I forget about it until it starts to smoke, then it needs reseasoning. Never store with the lid on they might rust and/or develope a funky odor!~gd
I used to use vegetable oil, but never really got it well seasoned [eggs would still occasionally stick] until i started using animal fats. I admit, it may have been it just needed a lot more seasoning, but I tried with the veg oil for a long time, and was much happier with the surface so quickly after switching to animal fats, I feel that was it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've had better luck with bacon grease than vegetable oils too. Ya may be onto something there :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I've had better luck with bacon grease than vegetable oils too. Ya may be onto something there :)
This is cut from the LODGE website and pasted here>>Apply a thin, even coating of MELTED solid vegetable shortening (or cooking oil of your choice) to the cookware (inside and out).>> I think the salt in bacon can leave a residue which csn sttack cast Iron. ~gd