Cleaning up squash seeds

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Helps shade ground and saves space. A portion of "3 sisters" growing style.
I did this once. My problem was that the squash vines went everywhere, as they are prone to do. Made walking amongst it to harvest corn a real challenge. There was no way not to step on a vine or trip over a squash. Not a terrible problem I guess in light of the fact that I had a great harvest - but definitely an inconvenience.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I considered the walking thru them but, no matter where they are they are often "in the way". Just seems easier to deal with corn than the eggplant and tomatoes that I need to harvest often. For a time you don't do much with corn...besides, it will be in a corner, so they can run there, too. It's what I'm going to try. Hope it works ok cause I do like the squash. They may climb the nearby fence, too. :idunno then, maybe with the sunflowers 🤔. I have too much free time to think about this. 😁

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now I'd welcome that challenge again. I have garden dreams....garden fantasies...just have to hang in there a while longer. And, I want more seeds. Don't need more seeds - just want 'em. It's an addiction I tell ya, lol!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did this once. My problem was that the squash vines went everywhere, as they are prone to do. Made walking amongst it to harvest corn a real challenge. There was no way not to step on a vine or trip over a squash. Not a terrible problem I guess in light of the fact that I had a great harvest - but definitely an inconvenience.

patayto patahto... :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now I'd welcome that challenge again. I have garden dreams....garden fantasies...just have to hang in there a while longer. And, I want more seeds. Don't need more seeds - just want 'em. It's an addiction I tell ya, lol!
Addiction for sure!!!!! :lol: any good result gives bragging rights!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Addiction for sure!!!!! :lol: any good result gives bragging rights!

i don't know if i posted these pictures here or not before, but these were the pictures i took last year before and after trying to thin down my collection of bean seeds:

p2210014_Bean_Sorting_thm.jpg

p4150005_Bean_Sorting_Fin_thm.jpg

from my bean page at:

some of those little containers have entire collections of beans in them where i saved about a dozen seeds of each type. way too many brown beans still.

i haven't even started yet on that for this season. i have a chance of starting it in the next few weeks now that i've gotten to having all the floor dusted. i have to make some effort to get the bean collection more organized so i can get pictures of things i want to have a record of before they get lost or something happens to them.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holy Cannolli! Dat's a lotta beans!

it keeps me out of trouble. at least that is what Mom says. :)

i hope i can start getting some newer pictures taken in the next few months before spring and planting season kicks off again. i have some real purdy new beans i want to capture.

p.s. now i'm hongry for cannollis...

Latest posts