Cleaning up squash seeds

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you let your vining types run or do you climb? I've had some butternuts go up a fence. Made nice clean squash. :). I'm wanting to plant, weather isn't! Hurry spring. Craving that far, far off garden ripe tomato!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine too. This year I plan to grow some corn, which I don't often. But I will put hills of these big squash within the patch so they can run among them. Helps shade ground and saves space. A portion of "3 sisters" growing style. With corn you do little after the plant gets about a foot, so perfect for vines that also need little while just growing. They can lounge around together. 😁

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Holy Cannolli! Dat's a lotta beans!

it keeps me out of trouble. at least that is what Mom says. :)

i hope i can start getting some newer pictures taken in the next few months before spring and planting season kicks off again. i have some real purdy new beans i want to capture.

p.s. now i'm hongry for cannollis...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could be some mighty fine eating. Could end up being animal fodder! I had one such cross that looked absolutely wonderful. It was green and orange streaked/mottled, shaped like a hubbard. I think it was hubbard x Red Hokaido. It was pulpy, dry, and totally without flavor. An other time, I had 22# Buttercup, and also a Buttercup x Red Hokaido that were absolutely outstanding.

what i really liked about the BBH's this year (them being new to me/us) was that they were moist as compared to the Kabochas we grew so that in the end when roasting them and mashing them together they ended up being a perfect combination. i also liked eating the BBHs by themself as they reminded me of a more flavorful Acorn squash. so i'm probably going to be growing these again next season. i sure have enough seeds for an acre or three of squash now (we don't have that much room).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Addiction for sure!!!!! :lol: any good result gives bragging rights!

i don't know if i posted these pictures here or not before, but these were the pictures i took last year before and after trying to thin down my collection of bean seeds:

p2210014_Bean_Sorting_thm.jpg

p4150005_Bean_Sorting_Fin_thm.jpg

from my bean page at:

some of those little containers have entire collections of beans in them where i saved about a dozen seeds of each type. way too many brown beans still.

i haven't even started yet on that for this season. i have a chance of starting it in the next few weeks now that i've gotten to having all the floor dusted. i have to make some effort to get the bean collection more organized so i can get pictures of things i want to have a record of before they get lost or something happens to them.