Cleaning your dehydrator,

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read the posts on the forum about dehydrating food.

I read where the NESCO, Excaliber, RONCO and other dehydrators were mentioned; however, DW wants to know about washing the trays. We have heard that cleaning the trays is a clumsy ordeal. :hu

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
They are definitely not the easiest to clean. Don't know what kind mine is, but the trays are a thin plastic, round, and they don't fit in my sink well. I lay a soapy washcolth on them if they need soaking, then rinse off , or soak them in the laundry tub.

Definitely somthing to thik about if you are in the market for one

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
They are a bit difficult to clean by hand since they're flexible and kind of flimsy. I just dishwasher mine to get the job done, especially that busy time of year :)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
They are a bit difficult to clean by hand since they're flexible and kind of flimsy. I just dishwasher mine to get the job done, especially that busy time of year :)
What kind do you have?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Same description as missthenorth :p We also use a big 2' square deal that is rotated through the family. Either way, they have sturdy plastic frames with flimsy plastic screens. They all seem to clean up pretty good in the dishwasher.

breconbcs

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an Excaliber and put the trays in the dishwasher. They get so messy from the liver treats that I make it's just easier, that and they don't fit my sink - my kitchen sinks are round ceramic type and don't even hold a cookie sheet. Someone at some point thought they'd be "cute" in a cottage, but they are not practical for everyday use.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have an old Ronco, minus the fan, that I got last summer at the community trash and treasure sale for $2. It has 5 trays - they are all round hard plastic. They fit inside my kitchen double sink. So I soak them in hot water.

kathyschix

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an Excalibur (big square trays) which I love but the trays barely fit in the kitchen sink. I give them a quick swish in the bathtub and a longer soak in there if needed.