Clogged Drain...Natural de-clogging formulas??

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My bathtub will not drain...at ALL. I dont want to spend a lot of money on chemicals nor do I want to spend a lot of money for a professional company to come and "clean" it out.
Anyone have any formulas of regular household products that I could send down the drain to coax out that clog?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most likely you have a hair clog. It would be best not to force the hair down the drain. Get a drain auger or just try to get a piece of wire and make a hook on the end and pull out the hair. Gross? Very, but easy to do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ACV! :D I just pour it straight, no dilution with water and let it sit. It seems to eat those things right up.

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
ACV! :D I just pour it straight, no dilution with water and let it sit. It seems to eat those things right up.
ACV? Apple Cider Vinegar?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We just went through this earlier in the week - I ran the washer and then noticed both bathtubs and our shower filled up with water drained from the machine. Plunging didn't work and we never use chemicals as it's not good for the septic system or the pipes. We ended up renting a 75' power snake for $70 at Home Depot. After 3 tries we got it unclogged. If you end up having to rent one yourself, INSIST that they unroll it to be sure the last person didn't kink the line because it can cause serious injury to the operator when it uncoils.
:barnie Somehow a dishrag ended up in the mainline from the house to the clean out.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the snake is worth it. Even if you have to buy it, it is cheaper than a plumber. You probably have a friend or neighbor who has one to lend, too.

I first try baking soda, followed up with white vinegar a couple of times, followed by a huge pan of boiling water. There is often soap scum build-up in bathroom drains, too, and boiling water can melt them. Unless it is hair. Then the snake is your best bet.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They say vinegar and baking soda and hot water is a good maintenance plan. I would definitely use a coat hanger to try and remove the hair first.

I hope that helps. g

ABHanna4d

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok so far we have tried:

Drain Snake - we cant get it through our drain trap...hmmm

Coat Hanger - we cant get it to the clog

First Try - Baking Soda then Apple Cider Vinegar
(earlier today...then gave it a couple hours to drain)

Second Try - Apple Cider Vinegar THEN Baking Soda... well not much different results but we sure did get a good show!

Third Try - Baking Soda then Apple Cider Vinegar again then wait 15 minutes and Flushed it with Boiling Water...not much of a result

Fourth Try - Standard Dish Sink Soap...letting it set for about 15 minutes then Flushing it with Boiling Water

:he :barnie :he :barnie

Any more suggestions??? :idunno

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Is the excess water bailed out? The vinegar might be diluted too much to get the full effect. You might have to remove the trap.