Closed Goat Herd ... or ... Goat Math

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We finally have the goat babies gone, and now have our first Nubian doe. She's in with our Nigerian Dwarf x La Mancha buck (Buck #1) so will hopefully kid by the end of July. We already have Doe #2, a Nubian/Nigerian Dwarf cross, coming in the summer, and Buck #2, Nigerian Dwarf, coming in the early Fall. So ... we're thinking we'll need one more doe (Doe #3), then we'll close the herd, except to sell.

Here's my question. If we only have the 2 bucks and 3 does, all unrelated, could we close the herd and never need to buy another goat? Breed in a specific way to avoid gene problems?

Those of you who are good with genetics, help! Got a spreadsheet or chart, that shows who to breed to who? We plan to keep only one new doeling a year, and only 1 buckling every 2 years. THANKS!!!

Buck 1
Buck 2

Doe 1
Doe 2
Doe 3

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
:pop

ETA: I've been trying to find info on this very subject over at BYH, but couldn't find anything...

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd seen that a couple of years ago and it would be helpful (probably) if I had a big herd. Still doesn't help with the genes. I think a daughter can be mated to an uncle or grandfather without "inbreeding" problems.

Looks like I'll have to do more research.

Thanks for finding that again.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
From what I have read, most folks just wouldn't breed full brother with full sister. Other than that, anything goes!

Here is a thread from another forum that discusses this topic. The 3rd and 5th posts are interesting, but I read the whole page... Closed herd discussion

The sites with the most info seem to be university extension sites such as this Inbreeding: Its Meaning, Uses and Effects on Farm Animals

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have never studied goats specifically, but i know that line breeding is an ok and practical method if needed. Anyways here is what i would do.
Buck 1 x Doe 1 Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 2 x Doe 3

keep one of the does from buck one. and lets say she is also from doe one as well. She becomes Doe 4

Buck 1 x Doe 1 Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 2 x Doe 3 Buck 2 x Doe 4

Now we put doe 4 with buck 2 so we dont isolate the gene pool to soon. and from these pairings we keep a doe from buck 1 again and a buck from buck 2. And lets say this time they are from does 2 & 3. they become Buck 3 and Doe 5

Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 1 x Doe 3 Buck 2 x Doe 4 Buck 2 x Doe 1 Buck 3 x Doe 5

Now we swap the pairs to add a little new blood to the lineage. From this generation we will keep a doe from Buck 1 again, this time tho its from Doe 3. She becomes Doe 6

Buck1 x Doe2 Buck1 x Doe3 Buck2 x Doe4 Buck2 x Doe1 Buck3 x Doe 5 Buck3 x Doe6

Now Buck 3 has two does from Buck 1, He and Buck 2 can swap Doe 4,5 & 6. While Does 1,2 &3 can be swapped between Bucks 1 & 2. Also from this pairing we keep a buck from Buck 1 and Doe 2. And a doe from Buck 2 and Doe 1. breaking the cycle of does from Buck 1. They becom Buck 4 and Doe 7

I hope this helps give you an example to kinda follow from as far as no father to duaghter and mother to son closed herd breeding goes. If you have any questions or want me to finish this example out some more, just ask and i will.

I forgot to add that you need to keep records on which pair sired which offspring, if you do this you should never have to add in any new blood unless you just do not like the way the offspring are turning out. Or if you find a new breed you want mixed in there.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wow BW!! I have looked all over the internet for just such an explanation! Now, I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but what if I only have room for 6 goats total, say 4 does and 2 bucks. I'm assuming I cull starting with buck 1 and doe 1 as I am keeping does and bucks from future breedings. Am I making sense? :hu I used to be so analytical, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this... :th

ETA: Have you checked out the spreadsheet from my earlier post? Do you think it's any good for this purpose?

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
First yes cheerio, the spreadsheet would come in handy for helping keep up with the genetics. And no that is not a stupid question let me revise the example for you, first let me ask, what are you starting with? the same as mykidz? with 2 buck and 3 does or will it be 2 bucks 4 does, it will make a difference in the passing of the gene pool.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I actually don't have goats as of yet, but I am trying to be as prepared as possible. I "Hope" to start my herd in the next few months. Since MyKids was the OP, let's go with 2 bucks and 3 does. I will probably start with 1 buck (nigerian dwarf) and 2 does (nubian) and a wether to keep the buck company. Thanks!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Whoa, Big White that was amazing! I know who I am asking if I need genetic help! :p