Closed Goat Herd ... or ... Goat Math

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
as a side note if you didnt want to keep any future bucks for a while, but want to keep doelings back, bred the doeling back to the buck thats not her daddy, and then any doelings out of her could be bred to their grandfather with no issuse

so say you bred doe 1 to buck 1 and kept one of their doelings, breed her to Buck 2 and keep a doeling from there you can then breed that doeling back to Buck 1

true siblings are a no no...
half brothers/sisters are doable on a small scale BUT only if EVERYTHING is good about them (close linebreeding will "lock in" traits great if theres somehting you LOVE about a goat ie great milking lines, but not so good if the goats have traits you dont like as those can also be "locked in)
Mother to sone and father to daughter is fine, as are grandfather to granddaughter and grandmother to grandson. again though watch for undesirbale traits as any line breeding can cause those traits to be intensified.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok. that will keep you from having to buy new blood on down the generations. I will give you the example of 2 bucks and 3 does. And keeping in the perameter of 6 max this is what I would do.

Buck 1 x Doe 1 Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 1 x Doe 3

First I would breed Buck 1 to all of the does. And keep a doe from Buck 1 and Doe 1. Doe 4

Buck 2 x Doe 1 Buck 2 x Doe 2 Buck 2 x Doe 3 Buck 2 x Doe 4

From here i would keep the pairs between both Bucks 1 and 2 making sure Doe 4 stays with Buck 2. Somethin like this.

Buck 1 x Doe 1 Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 2 x doe 3 Buck 2 x Doe 4 and from here just sell the offspring. Now when you get ready to reguvinate the whole heard when they start to get old and close to quittin time. Then I would do this.

Buck 1 x Doe 2 Buck 1 x Doe 1 Buck 2 x Doe 4 Buck 2 x Doe 3.

from this keep a buck from Buck 1 Doe 2- Buck 3 to replace Buck 1. And a doe from Buck 2 Doe 4- Doe 6. replacing doe 3

The following pairing would look like this

Buck 3 x Doe 6 Buck 3 x Doe 4 Buck 2 x Doe 5 Buck 2 x Doe 2

Now Doe 4 and Doe 5 could be changed out But 2 and 6 are stuck with there bucks, being the other buck mom or off spring.

Now from here you can buy new blood to put into your heard, or you could further the crosses carefully making sure to not muddy the lines to bad. Just make sure to always keep meticulous notes. if you need more info just ask.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thank you very much BW!! I really appreciate it! :thumbsup I will be printing this and putting it in a safe place! I have horrible luck with losing stuff when computers crash! :rolleyes:

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You are very welcome. I always like to help. And i always love to learn. :D glad i could help