Clstratton- a long ways to go in self-sufficiency!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
clstratton said:
I made some baby food the other day. Granted I bought baby carrots, but I didn't buy them for the purpose of making baby food. So I steamed some of them, and put them through a grinder. I made about five or six servings, but DS didn't like the carrots. We will try again today.
Welcome to SS!

I used to make baby food for my kiddos. I froze the food in ice cube trays--perfect for about 1 serving--dumped them in freezer bags and then just popped out one cube at a time for meals. Have fun with this! It saves a TON of money and natural resources (jars)!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome!!

Great to have you here.

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So could some one tell me how to change the title of my journal? I see it all the time where other people have edited their journal titles, such as *new pics page...*

Any help would be great. Thanks!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
clstratton said:
So could some one tell me how to change the title of my journal? I see it all the time where other people have edited their journal titles, such as *new pics page...*

Any help would be great. Thanks!
Go to your first post of the thread and click on the edit button. You can then edit your title. :hugs

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Leslie, welcome aboard!

I'm living in Utah right now but we are building a little place in Idaho and maybe we will move up there this summer, if the house sells.
Its a fantastic state!

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's been a while.

But here's what we've been up to for SS living:

We bought an electric wheat grinder, so now all I need to do is buy some wheat and we will be set. We already have a manual one too. Sure we are going about things a little bit backwards, but it sure beats having wheat sitting around that we can't use.

We also started some vegetable seeds indoors on Monday. We have broccoli and jalapeno peppers going. In a few weeks we will start our tomatoes, and maybe onions (are these okay to start indoors, or should we sow them directly into the soil?). I found a seed starting chart with my Master Gardener files that suggested we start peppers around March 25th (we started them the 23rd) and tomatoes April 10th. So we are waiting. By the way, this chart is for my area, so don't go out and start your tomatoes right now if you are in Alaska (unless you have a greenhouse, then I'm sure it's fine).

Speaking of greenhouses in Alaska. When I lived there as a kid we had one in one of our backyards (we lived in two different houses there). It was so awesome to walk in there in the dead of winter and smell the earthy smell of things growing. My mom has a green thumb and she's my gardening idol/guru. I have a brown thumb, but I'm working on it. I'm just really happy for the help of DH and DD this year. They put all the planting soil in our newspaper pots last Saturday while I was at a horticulture symposium. Talk about being gardening minded that day. We had the whole family involved. Except DS. He's only 7 months old. But DD at 2.5 years was a big help to her dad.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
clstratton said:
I have a brown thumb, but I'm working on it.
Yeah, I usually kill any plant I get near. I'm also working on it. I have one lavender sprout... For me that's progress!

kaycei

Power Conserver
Reaction score
clstratton said:
Speaking of greenhouses in Alaska. When I lived there as a kid we had one in one of our backyards (we lived in two different houses there). It was so awesome to walk in there in the dead of winter and smell the earthy smell of things growing.
I've been thinking about that greenhouse a lot lately. I remember huge heads of something... I don't remember if it was lettuce or cabbage. Was the greenhouse heated? How were we able to grow stuff in that much cold, with that little sunlight, even in a greenhouse? Maybe Papa Bear can help fill in the details.