coal furnace to pellet furnace

mamagardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we have been heating our house with a coal furnace all along. Yesterday we purchased a Harman PF100 pellet furnace. My husband was sick of the mess coal made, and he wanted something cleaner and easier to use.

My question is, has anyone had experience with this furnace? Or does anyone have any preference to coal or pellets?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Since you already bought the stove your question is kinda moot, but are correct that a coal or wood burner are messy, I had both and still heat with a wood stove and would not put another one in my new cabin unless it was meant for outdoors only.

I have many acquaintances that have pellet stoves and they say they are great - of course they're gonna say that because they just spent $2000. Even though the pellets are about twice the price for half the heat content they are much easier to regulate the heat. Just as the corn burners the popularity of these stoves caused a shortage of available fuel which drove up the price.

The last place I worked employed 2000 people and quite a few had pellet stoves so many got together and ordered a semi truck full, buying several tons each, it was the best way to get a cheap price.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The least awesome thing about pellet stoves is that they require electricity to run... At least with a wood stove you can run a fan behind it to push the air away if your power should go out and all you have is a small car charger type deal rather than a generator.

mamagardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We ordered the furnace, we haven't received it yet. We can still cancel if we want. My husband wants something that he doesn't have to feed alot. That's why we went with a pellet furnace instead of a wood stove. I can't find much of a write up on it, it's not a stove. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the Harman pf100 pellet furnace, so I could have some idea of what it is like. I know it will probably be cheaper in the long run (and a lot less messy) than coal because you can adjust the heat. With our coal furnace it was on or off. You couldn't change regulate how hot it was.

mamagardener

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We finally got the pellet furnace hooked up and running. I love it, I would definitely recommend it. It works just like a oil furnace, but it is with pellets. It goes out when it is not needed, and relights itself when it gets cold again. All you have to do is feed it and empty the ash drawer, it is definitely better than our old coal furnace, that was so messy and so much work.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with it. So, are you limited to one type of pellet or can you use corn etc. I have a freind who has a pellet stove and she loves it, I wouldn't know what kind it is though.