Cob homes

KristenF87

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, discovered it while on backyardchickens.com.

My fiance and I are currently renting half of a duplex in town, keeping our fingers crossed that our back yard chickens don't get discovered as we're not zoned for them, and dreaming of owning land...

We plan on buying land sometime this year and are very interested in learning more about building a cob house. The plan is to get the cheapest used trailer we can find and live in that until we can pay off the land and then build our own home. I've read that cob homes are extremely cheap to build but require a whole lot of tough work.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone here and built any type of cob structure before.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi and WELCOME!!

I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I know someone will. We have some pretty smart folks here. Is a cob home like a straw home? If so, I think you are in luck. :)

KristenF87

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you mean by straw home. From what I've read the "cob" material is made from a mixture of clay, dirt, and straw. I've heard both of people insulating the walls with bales of hay and of just using the cob material without the bales of hay. I'm not sure which is best...

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Straw, not hay. Animals, including rodents of every kind will have your home eaten in no time if you use hay:>) But they won't eat straw.
I did alot of research on straw bale building some time ago...I would definitely consider it as a great option! They are beautiful when completed!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Out here in Colorado, there are quite a few rammed earth homes. We have plenty of dirt to work with :p

KristenF87

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:p straw, sorry! Lol I guess that just shows how very little I know about "farm life." But I'm ready to learn!

The pictures of cob homes I've seen are absolutely beautiful and they really give you the creative freedom to make your home into whatever you want it to be.

cob1.jpg

cob2.jpg

cob3.jpg

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes you can do amazing things with straw bales! I love the idea. One day I would like to design a building here made with it just for the fun of it...maybe another guesthouse or something...a rabbit pen:>)
Don't worry it took me a long time to figure out the straw/hay thing:>)