cockchafers!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Last year I had a pretty serious cockchafer( big nasty grub, looks like stag beetle larva) issues with my potatoes. I lost close to 25% of my harvest because of them. Has anyone here had experience with them before, and do you have any organic/natural solutions? I plan obviously to plan the potatoes as far away from the spot they were in last year, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to decrease the chances of this happening again without using harmful chemicals.

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is there any reason why diatomaceous earth wouldn't work on them? That's my first choice for grubby invaders.

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I don't know of any reason why not, not sure why I hadn't thought about this before- I've got a big bag or organic/food grade in the shed that I use to sprinkle in the chicken coop- I have not ever used it in the garden- suggestions about how much to use?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
MaineChick218 said:
I don't know of any reason why not, not sure why I hadn't thought about this before- I've got a big bag or organic/food grade in the shed that I use to sprinkle in the chicken coop- I have not ever used it in the garden- suggestions about how much to use?
All of it! I hate tater eating grubs! :lol:

I had grub damage to my sweet potatoes last summer, and I dug and dug and practically sifted the soil to get them. I fed them to the chickens. I planted red potatoes there in February and didn't see very many at all, so maybe it helped. We'll see..... Good luck with your potatoes!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, you won't ever hear me swear as much as when I go into the garden and find some bug has been eatting my veggies! I let spiders live in my house, and catch and release other bugs that get in, but if it's eatting my produce, it's going down! I find it quite rude ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I'm confused as to what type of beetles you actually have. I looked up cochchafers, and all the info I found said they're in Europe. :hu

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MaineChick218 said:
I'll tell you what, you won't ever hear me swear as much as when I go into the garden and find some bug has been eatting my veggies! I let spiders live in my house, and catch and release other bugs that get in, but if it's eatting my produce, it's going down! I find it quite rude ;)
I hate spiders in the house(make hubs or son take them to the garden) but deal with them in the garden cuz they don't eat my produce.. but I also hate those critters that take a bite or two of my veggies and out of every stinking one! I've been training a crack force to deal with the invasion!

She finds them and has me pick them for her and then they go to the

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, I'm confused as to what type of beetles you actually have. I looked up cochchafers, and all the info I found said they're in Europe. :hu
hmm maybe they are not cockchafers?? Let me post a pic- last year when I was trying to figure out what they were, that is what I came up with.

Ok I guess I don' t know how to post a picture here! let me figure this out!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
6118_img_2801.jpg

6118_img_2802-001.jpg

hoping this works!