cockchafers!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
ew yes it does! Hopefully the DE will work on this guy!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We call those grub worms around here. They are the larval stage of an adult June bug. Chickens LOVE them!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yup! June bug grub worms. I found HUGE ones in my compost pile, they were the size of my thumb. The girls just adored them and I adored giving the grubbies to them!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MaineChick218 said:
ew yes it does! Hopefully the DE will work on this guy!
DE works best where the surround is dry hopefully your soil is moist, and the DE must make direct contact to have any effect at all. Even on leaves they say to renew the DE if it gets wet. Might I suggest BT, a natural product that is a workhorse of the organic farmer? Frankly I dont know if it works on grubs, check the label before you buy.

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
everything is pretty wet/moist right now...I'll check out the BT. I've been turning over the soil by hand and letting the chickens in the garden, so I am hoping they have been eating whatever grubs they find!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I find them all the time in my garden.. we dig them for fishing.. or the chickens.. :) If your garden is infested with them they will come up and take bites out of the melons and squashes and pumpkins too and make them rot from the bottom up.. You go to pick one and the underside is all just goo... :(

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh yeah, they did a number on my potatoes last year. Not only did I decide to harvest early so no further damage would be done, but they had gotten to a good amount of them already- I have a photo of some of the most minor damage- a found a lot though where half of the potato was gone/gross mush...nasty buggers!
6118_img_2683-001.jpg

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yuck! Grubs, I hate 'em.
The moles have really helped. :barnie And the cats have really helped with the mole population.

I kept most of the grubs out of the garden by letting the hens in there during the non productive times.

I agree with others, DE is active as long as it's dry. That's going to be a problem in a veggie garden.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had forgotten about milky spore!
probably because I can't afford to spend $1500 to treat my place. Especially several times over a two year period.

But I do remember reading in other garden forums that it helps.