cockchafers!

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
$1500?? I'm thinking that option is off the table for me! I'll have to stick with chickens and DE for grub control. Has anyone here ever used beneficial nematodes?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MaineChick218 said:
$1500?? I'm thinking that option is off the table for me! I'll have to stick with chickens and DE for grub control. Has anyone here ever used beneficial nematodes?
Yep I have tried nematodes on Clay soil fairly effective but did not spread well. Don't laugh but the best treatment I found was ducks I would water heavy which brought the grubs close to the surface and ducks would love to dig holes in wet surfaces. I know the ducks got some I saw them gobble them down but I often wondered if the grubs drowned in the ground because of the standing water. Skunks tend to plow up a lawn infested with grubs. I have been told that coons and foxes will dig for grubs also. The ducks used to grab the adults bettle too so they were a double threat. Never let the ducks in the garden they will eat plants and dig for insects.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
People blame moles for eating plants-but they don't. They eat grubs and worms.

MaineChick218

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We had a skunk problem last year because of our grubby lawn- they dug all kinds of holes trying to get at them! I'll keep letting the chickens in the garden for the time being- they are not going to be happy whenthe fence goes up!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
MaineChick218 said:
Yep I have tried nematodes on Clay soil fairly effective but did not spread well. Don't laugh but the best treatment I found was ducks I would water heavy which brought the grubs close to the surface and ducks would love to dig holes in wet surfaces. I know the ducks got some I saw them gobble them down but I often wondered if the grubs drowned in the ground because of the standing water. Skunks tend to plow up a lawn infested with grubs. I have been told that coons and foxes will dig for grubs also. The ducks used to grab the adults bettle too so they were a double threat. Never let the ducks in the garden they will eat plants and dig for insects.
It worked well for my mother when she used the milky spore for three years. that was about 7 years ago and we noticed that in certain spots the grubs must be back as the moles are working it hard and you can see where the skunks have been digging them there too.
We also have the same looking grubs that are smaller that I was told was Japanese beetle babies. I don't get too many Japanese beetles as when they are adults and eating in my garden I go out first thing in the morning when it is cool with a big take out cup(I save them just for this) with a bit of water in the bottom and carefully knock them off into the cups(they love pole bean leaves) and then feed them to my chickens I have been doing this for quite a few years now and less and less show up each year.
I have gotten to watch the skunks work over a yard before. I had the momma leave her babies(6 of the little things) at my house one summer.. those little baby skunks followed me around the yard for a couple weeks before they all just kinda left me.. :( I got used to them.. they would spread out and sniff the ground and dig dig and chow down.. they really loved it when I would be out turning the soil in one or another of my garden beds.. run right over and start looking for worms.. I was always worried that I would startle them then they would squirt me. I have pictures somewhere of them ..

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I've heard that descented skunks make great pets. I've always thought they were cute, but that smell.... :sick Wonder how well one would work as a "guard" animal.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've heard that descented skunks make great pets. I've always thought they were cute, but that smell.... :sick Wonder how well one would work as a "guard" animal.
I have to say that I did not have any raccoons that summer of the baby skunks.. the momma was almost all white on the top and had black legs. she was very distinctive. I saw her many times that year.
I have had friends who had them deskunked and as pets and they even used the litter box. they are very friendly.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know that this is a bit off topic but I found the picture..

There are only 4 in these pictures cuz they were fast little things..

Denim Deb

Reaction score
They're so cute! I think if I ever lived by myself, I'd have one (descented) for a house pet. Imagine breaking into someone's house and being greeted by a skunk! :lol:

Latest posts