Coconut oil

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a way to use coconut oil in my basically North American/northern European cooking, and haven't been very successful. So much of what I normally cook just wouldn't be improved with that touch of coconut .... :lol: But last night I made an Indonesian feast for my my brother and SIL before they returned to California today, and found that coconut oil fit the bill perfectly! Actually anything that needs coconut milk in it will hardly even notice a little coconut oil! And with all the various dishes I made I made up more than a quart of coconut milk! The feast turned out well, and everybody seemed to like it - even SIL, who is apparently rather *hesitant* about unfamiliar foods :D It felt very good to use this healthy oil finally; it has been in the cupboard for awhile now, just waiting for its opportunity :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
keljonma said:
So are you making more curries these days to use the coconut oil?
Not specifically to use the coconut oil, but I am remembering more often to use it where I can - thanks to reminder posts on this board! :lol: I have been cooking more of that sort of food recently just because the PNW has been sweltering through a very unusual heat wave (it was 111* the other day!), and I subscribe to the theory that spicy foods are good when the weather is hot :D