Code of the West

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
While it's sad, it's also something that's needed in many places. I know if I'm ever able to move into a more rural area, I plan on learning about the location first and maybe even talking to the neighbors to find out what all the land around me is used for.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These are actually in the code and required the be given by the realtor when buying a home near a farm.

Friend of mine had someone try and sue her century old working farm for nuisance last year because the cattle could come all the way to the fenceline. It cost her the attorney money. Her county calls their version of this Right to Farm and the judge cited it when he threw the case out.

This spring she decided she'd keep the cows out of that pasture to make them happy. She put in better fencing and put pigs there.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Some of that really does apply to us city folk too. A few years ago we not only had more snow than we usually get, it stuck around for several weeks and accumulated. Most places didn't have garbage pick up for 3-4 weeks, and fire trucks etc. were unable to respond to calls due to snow volume, it was amazing how many people were not prepared for that.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how dumb some people are. Love the Code of the West. That should be given to rural real estate purchasers in every state.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not every county is on the side of the farmers. There was a guy near San Jose that had to get rid of his 40 year business in chicken farming because the new neighbors complained and won.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ugh, that's terrible, Britsea!
We had a gun range that had been in the same place for over 30 years. Some neighbors tried to sue, and they lost. The only thing the range had to do was put up signs as a notice to "potential home buyers"
People are crazy, and I guess they just don't think about things. A few years ago in the deep snows (20+" at once) there were people in the apartment complex that my friend's lived in using cardboard boxes as show shovels because they didn't own anything. Crazy!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There were people trying to sue the gun ranges around here that have been there since it was farmland in the middle of nothing. The county finally got fed up and passed a law protecting all the ranges that predate the housing developments from nuisance lawsuits people were trying to bring.

I know that there was some homeowner that tried saying their house was being hit by bullets (250 acre range shoots into hill the other direction). They tried to play the "cops won't do anything to help us". Even the news station picked up on the fact that to hit the siding at the angle it did, the bullet would have had to come from inside the yard.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There were people trying to sue the gun ranges around here that have been there since it was farmland in the middle of nothing. The county finally got fed up and passed a law protecting all the ranges that predate the housing developments from nuisance lawsuits people were trying to bring./QUOTE]

If they really felt they needed to sue someone, why not sue the real estate agent that didn't do due diligence and let them know who/what the neighbours were?

Latest posts