Coffee cans for baking breads?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This is a recycling AND recipe post, I hope I put it in the right spot...

O.k. another post reminded me that my elderly neighbor (when I was 30 years younger) used to bake us breads all the time. (What I would do for her sourdough bread right now!!) Anyway she used to bake us breads in her old coffee cans. I can't remember what types of breads they were. I know they were probably not yeast type breads maybe more like pumpkin or zucchini? :idunno

Does anyone out there recall how this is done, recipe etc?

I have quite a few coffee cans (smaller sized) that I would like to put into good use.

They make good gifts too.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Boston Brown Bread

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 cups sour or buttermilk
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup molasses

Sift together first 4 ingredients; stir in cornmeal and whole wheat flour. Add milk, raisins, and molasses. Beat well.

Divide the batter among 4 greased and floured 16 oz cans. Cover tightly with foil.

Place cans on rack in deep kettle; add boiling water to depth of 1 inch. Cover; steam bread for 3 hours, adding more boiling water if needed.

Uncover cans; cool 10 minutes. Remove bread. Wrap; store overnight before serving.

Delicious with baked beans. Wonderful sliced and served with cream cheese.

To make sour milk: Put 2 T lemon juice or vinegar in a 2 cup measuring container. Add milk to the 2 cup level. Let sit for 5 minutes.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Pumpkin Bread

1 c packed brown sugar
1/3 c shortening
2 eggs
1 c canned pumpkin puree
1/4 c milk
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 c raisins

Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in pumpkin and milk. Stir together dry ingredients. Add to pumpkin mixture. Beat 1 minute with electric or rotary beater. Stir in raisins.

Turn into well-greased 3 pound can. Cover tightly with foil.

Place can on rack in deep kettle; add boiling water to depth of 1 inch. Cover; steam bread for 3.5 hours, adding more boiling water if needed.

Uncover can; cool 10 minutes. Remove bread. Cool overnight before serving.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Devils Food Pudding

1/3 c sugar
2 T shortening
1 egg
1 one-oz square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar and shortening. Add egg; mix well. Beat in chocolate. Stir together dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla.

Divide into 2 well-greased 16 oz cans. Cover tightly with foil.
Place can on rack in deep kettle; add boiling water to depth of 1 inch. Cover; steam bread for 1.5 hours, adding more boiling water if needed. Uncover can; cool 10 minutes. Remove bread. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Devils Food Pudding

1/3 c sugar
2 T shortening
1 egg
1 one-oz square unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream sugar and shortening. Add egg; mix well. Beat in chocolate. Stir together dry ingredients. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla.

Divide into 2 well-greased 16 oz cans. Cover tightly with foil.
Place can on rack in deep kettle; add boiling water to depth of 1 inch. Cover; steam bread for 1.5 hours, adding more boiling water if needed. Uncover can; cool 10 minutes. Remove bread. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
OMG, this (and all of your others too) recipe looks like it is to die for!! (I am in a sweet mood and I love baking with buttermilk and chocolate!) :drool

Thank you for your recipes. I don't even have to fire up the oven for these, cool.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Most of them can also be made in your crock pot instead of on top of the stove too.... same ingredients, same directions. Just make sure the cans fit inside first.

edited for spelling

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
This is an awesome bread!! Very flexible. I use a huge variety of dried fruit and whole-wheat flour and it works great.

Aunt Carols Fruit Bread
2 lbs pitted prunes
1 lb dried pears
1 lb raisins
1 lb pitted dates
1 lb figs, if desired
lb sliced almonds
1 cup walnuts

To 6 cups warm water, add 1 cup sugar, 3 tbsp dry yeast, tbsp salt and enough flour to make a batter. Beat well. Add fruits, nuts and enough more flour to be able to knead it. Let it rise, punch down, form loaves and let rise again. Bake at 350 until donemay take almost 1 hour depending on size of loaves.