Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sometimes I hear a siren out in the 100 acre pasture across the road or in the 100 acre pasture down on the corner, late at night. It's Casey, calling the cows. He has a siren mounted on his flatbed truck and he flips the switch, the siren sound covers the area, followed by the sound of mooing cattle as they make their way to the corral where he feeds them.

A bell is a good idea. Mount it on the barn, where it's sound can float out over the pasture and the cows will come.

I call my sheep and they run to me. If BJ called them, they didn't even raise their heads. LOL LOL

On my second cup of coffee, it's getting daylight, reckon I'll get dressed and go feed sheep and smile at the antics of the lambs.
Those baby's are cute!!!! I am on cup#2, yesterday it didnt get a hint of light until 7:15,, Come on Dec. 21

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMG_20211215_070512_HDR.jpg More Coffee :caf

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
One more cup and I will go out to the coop,

I put some more wood on the fire and snapped ya this pic,
yesterday I emptied / packed up 1/2 of my pantry and took the one of two shelves out to the porch. That way when I pack the other one I have some where to put the boxes.

IMG_20211217_054038_HDR.jpg

Today I have laundry to do and my youngest is driving up. I'll need to make up the spare room for her.
I have some brussel sprouts to roast in the oven and a nice Hemplers Ham.
So I'll be in full momma mode.

We closed on the new house yesterday, so break time is over. Going to kick it in high gear on the packing.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I call my sheep and they run to me. If BJ called them, they didn't even raise their heads. LOL LOL
One of my many skills (lol) is that I can whistle loud enough to be heard from miles and miles away! That was how I called my horses when I was a teenager. That was how I called my kids when they were playing waaaay down the street or back in the woods. That's even how I get DH's attention when we're outside or the occasional time in a store when he wanders away. I'll whistle and then immediate look around like "who did that?" All my critters know that the whistle means to come running.

Great news is we have a credit card tied to a nice hotel chain for points accumulation. So we get to stay free at a hotel on points the whole trip and can flee when the inevitable political debate breaks out between between her liberal sister and anti-liberal BIL.
Yay for credit card points! I cashed in all of our American Express points for gift cards to pass out this year. Some years back we took a trip to San Francisco. We had enough points on one card to pay for our flights and rental car. A different card paid for the hotel costs. All we paid for was entrance to points of interest and food. And, of course we used the credit cards that earned points to pay for that so we were building points for the next time!

Hope you have a good time and can evade all the political strife, lol.

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy Friday!
Happy Friday!
Back in my homeschooling days I had a rule , Breakfast is at 7, make your bed and clean up your room, get dressed if you want breakfast, School starts at 8, ............. My kids never missed breakfast
How important is it really that I feed my children at the same time every day? Do they really need all that structure?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

How important is it really that I feed my children at the same time every day? Do they really need all that structure?
My standard response at work when process standards questions come up - It depends. It depends on your family's perspective on things (life in general).

In my experience, having a general schedule adhered to was a necessity due to the parents schedules (I work in an office, the ex was a realtor). One good thing from those times, is the set meal time, as well as bedtimes. Without that rigor, the kids turned into constant grazers.

Having a routine established helped ease the transition to attending school. The meal routine included afternoon snack time. Our friends with 100% free range/scheduleless kids struggled mightily trying to impose the school schedule on them.

Your milage will vary. 😀

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

Oh, if you are breastfeeding, based on my own situation observations, I think a schedule is something you might embrace. I will leave it at that. 😀

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Happy Friday!

We had a set bedtime, and a general dinner time. But my bro and I were also almost unschooled. We did use lesson books and mom made a general lesson plan, but it wasn’t extremely strict. Neither of us has had any problem transitioning into the “real world” my brother actually had a leg up in college because of it. Having mostly online or hybrid classes was made easier by his training. Then again we also moved at least every other year so strict everything was not happening lol.

Latest posts