Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you want better stronger advice... sure, sure, here goes:

1. Chicks are cute,

2. Chicks are cute,

3. Chicks are cute,

4. Chicks grow up to lay eggs and/or jump on the stew pot, therefor are practical and very forward thinking

5. The world might end tomorrow, you need chicks to survive the upcoming apocalypse.

Conclusion

Get more chicks!!
and don't forget they are cute :)

Ahhh ... get 'em!!! No one's looking, or counting. 🤣. Besides, they eat bugs.

I added 12 starting to lay pullets to my coop Fri. 🎉👍. Can't say exactly how many chickens roam the coops. No one's counting. 🤣. Winter egg security.
yes, no one is counting....or just get too many to count, lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens haven't been eating kitchen scraps. I had my food processor out/dirty, so I tossed the scraps in and choped them. Turns outthat my chickens like kitchen scraps. They're just spoiled :gig

We feed kitchen scraps also, but with the understanding that doing so can attract vermin. So we place them in a bowl inside the coop. We also believe it's best to feed once a day what they will totally consume quickly, so we only feed them what they will eat. They can catch bugs, scratch around in the dirt, eat grass and seeds, be in the sunshine or shade and have fresh water and fresh air the remainder of daylight hours. Dust to dawn, they are confined in a secured coop with their bowl of food, we place in side the coup each evening, after the coop door closes at dusk.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We feed kitchen scraps also, but with the understanding that doing so can attract vermin. So we place them in a bowl inside the coop. We also believe it's best to feed once a day what they will totally consume quickly, so we only feed them what they will eat. They can catch bugs, scratch around in the dirt, eat grass and seeds, be in the sunshine or shade and have fresh water and fresh air the remainder of daylight hours. Dust to dawn, they are confined in a secured coop with their bowl of food, we place in side the coup each evening, after the coop door closes at dusk.

we do the same thing, scraps in a bowl and only once a day and then I remove it and clean out the bowl when they are done. Mine do not get food or water overnight in their coop but have access to feed all day long

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter Do you have an automatic door for your coop? If so, what kind did you buy?

Yes we went "Hi-Tech Redneck" with a solar, programmable automatic door, including 2 remotes (12V Battery - You Supply).

My wife programed if for dust to dawn. Meaning the door closes at dusk and opens at dawn. There are several different ones to choose from on Amazon. I'm not going to recommend the one we purchased just yet, because it's only been in use for a short amount of time. it'll need to operate every day and night for a few months before I'll recommend it. But so far so good.

But we purchased one because it runs off 12V DC. So when all the fancy solar and SEALED litiiumn battery pack stops working, I can slip in a small rechargable 12 battery. It did come with an extra battery pack for a bunch of 1.5v AA batteries that you supply, plus a plug in 12 V DC transformer, so at least they thought about the long haul. Being 12 Volt DC it will also be easy to hook up to a 12 volt DC electric fence power source if needed. My only real consern is longevity of the motor and the programmable circuit board at this point.

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Heartwarming story of the day. On a local FB community page, a young man was trying to find his grandpa's tractor (very unique description, but no pictures) that had been sold a long time ago. He wanted to purchase it if possible.
After just 2 weeks, it was found and he now has it. Still good people in the world

Latest posts