Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I finally finished my small utility room shelves. 61 1/2” long, 29” deep, various heights to fit what I have. I’ll eventually put up a curtain but right now I just want to admire.

4389BC1A-7A99-45CC-9781-7BDA11BF8627.jpeg

The pantry, with the stupid 10” wide openings, is now empty. I can unpack more boxes.

E34C94A9-9DA9-4AD4-B816-5CFFDCC57ADD.jpeg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My kids don't have school either (they just had a late start yesterday). I of course have to drive into the office for a laptop switch, of all days....ony the 4th time in the office in 2.5 years so not too bad.

Lots of snow out there but it is above freezing so that is a plus.

I think 2 out of 3 of the chicks are boys, so now to find a place for them. I may keep one....maybe.
Uff, drive carefully. Its bad over here. Trees down on roads, widespread power outage, etc.

We got 8" heavy wet snow. Its gorgeous! I'm thankful for the luxury of being able to stay home.

I'm also thankful the luxury of a generator! This is the first winter power outage since we got the generator. The difference is my anxiety is huuuge. What a relief!

I filled buckets and pitchers with water, took food and drinks out of the fridge and popped them into snow so we don't have to open the fridge when the generator is off, get no-cook food from the basement while we have light, etc.

When power outages are this widespread it could be a couple days. We should beable to run the generator every day, but not constantly.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We'll it's breezy, 40 degrees and partly sunny. I will do my imperfect best to enjoy my day.

I noticed the cattle lifted the water hose out of the water through (sp?) although it's full from all the great rains we received, it still needs to be in the through (sp?).

So I grabbed a long cane pole and went into the pasture. I then asked the cattle which one of you cattle did this? They all looked at me as if I did it 🙄. I brought some 2 foot zip ties and zip tied the water hose to the stock tank heater. And clipped off the excess zip tie with a pair of side cutters.

Then I said to the cattle, please leave the water hose alone, don't be playing with it and please please don't chew on it. Now go graze some grass and enjoy your day. Then I shook the stick at them and they all went out into the pasture. Beasts are beasts, we are blessed to have them and I enjoy caring for them.

Enjoy your day!

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
have no generator, only electric heat.
I have electric heat and a generator....but, also have a small heater that runs on kero. Consider one of those. I also have carbon monoxide alarm ;) it's decent heat for short term....I've never had issue with air quality.

Have a propane unit but didn't fill that tank due to ridiculous prices this year! It can actually heat entire downstairs nicely. Looks like a cute wood stove...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no generator, only electric heat. Got bad weather coming, thinking on this.

You need something for emergency heat at the least, even if it's a blue flame propane wall heater (follow.manufactur direction's carefully) . You most likely will need a big generator just for your heat pump. what amp breaker is it for aux heat? And emergency heat?. The one I have in the cave it's 60 amp emergency heat, 30 Amp for auxiliary heat and 30 amp for air conditioning. 60 amp at 220 volts is going to require 13.2K watts. That's a big portable generator, just to run the electric furnace and not much more.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And just like that, It's dark outside again already, it's the close of another day. Where do the days go? Tomorrow is Friday, then comes the weekend. Wow time sure is flying by.

I hope your day was a good one, even if the skies were gray, even if it was rainy, icy or snowy. I hope you enjoyed your day.