Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good very cold morning its 23 now, very clear skies,, I was out to the coop at 6, the water was froz, but, when I know its going to freez I leave the level low, so in the mornings I just add hot water,,Ta-Da :caf

grandchild #7 of 11 is 9 today
as we start the big BD list for 4children+ spouses and 11grandchildren, 2sisters+2 SIL , Mother & very dear MIL she just had her 97thBD 🥳 🎂

I need to order a new BD box of cards from amazon 😳

OH NO,, dog-gonit,, !!!!I forgot to bring in the humming bird feeder and pretty boy is having a fit,,, gotta go fill up a hot one,,,
OK he is out on the feeder now, and all is good in his tiny bird world :love there are two of them that stay all year.
I had some at the cabin I just loved, but now I have a new humming bird set,,,

Have a very good morning,
a071e0d487eaefb1278f4bdd6ae0101a.jpg
11 grandkids? You are blessed! I have 1 - with no chance of more. But, he is the love of my life. ♡ He turned 4, last Tuesday. Happy birthday to,your 9-year-old!
You have winter hummingbirds?? I didn't know that was possible!

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
they are the "hey boy, I said, hey boy" kind of chickens.
LOL
The nice lady in line behind me, told me exactly how to brood them and I mean exactly in detail. One checkout line open and like 7 or 8 deep before I got up there. I just kept smiling and saying "yes ma'am" she even waited to give me her phone number "incase I had any questions". No ma'am that won't be necessary. .
Oh, but how sweet of her ♡.... and you

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Forecast calling for freezing rain today. Then lows in the teens and 20's, highs in the 20' to lower 30's until Friday. So back on the wood stove to save on electric. Baby chickens love the real wood heat as opposed to heat from the pump heat. Pups also love the heat and I must admit so do I 👍

Working on establish a nice bed of coals still nice and toasty warm 👍
IMG_20230130_102528521.jpg

James 5:7-9

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't have any crumbles for the baby chickens and I didn't want to buy 50 lbs for just 7 babies. So I'm giving them 1/2 and 1/2 of layer pellets and commodity (cattle feed). I'm running through a hand grinder to make my own crumbles. Those baby chickens are super active... I think I may have jacked them all up on molasses contained in the commodity. They sure are eating a lot of it.
IMG_20230130_115108041.jpg

Ofcourse Bear my wife's male rottweiler thinks he's "Momma Bear". Anytime those baby chickens get to chirping he jumps up and runs to the brooder tub to check on them. He even came and got me once whinnying because one of the babies had a feather stuck to it's beak and the other babies were chasing it around cutting up a fuss. He's a good momma 🤣

I was reading up on these leghorn chickens, good fliers roost in trees - uggg...

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Emergency Management Agency: WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 AM CST TUESDAY

WHAT...Mixed precipitation is expected. Total sleet and snow accumulations of up to a half inch and ice accumulations of one to two-tenths of an inch.

IMPACTS...Difficult travel conditions are possible as roadways turn icy.

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

I got the generator ready to roll out if this ice strom takes out the electric. Plus we surely will not freeze 😁

I'm enjoying my day, I hope you are too!

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emergency Management Agency: WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 AM CST TUESDAY

WHAT...Mixed precipitation is expected. Total sleet and snow accumulations of up to a half inch and ice accumulations of one to two-tenths of an inch.

IMPACTS...Difficult travel conditions are possible as roadways turn icy.

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

I got the generator ready to roll out if this ice strom takes out the electric. Plus we surely will not freeze 😁
We're suppose to get that later on this week. We just need to fill the gas cans and get the generator by the house so if it does that I will be able to use the generator and fill it seeing how FH will be out doing brining, sanding, salting so I'm trying to get a lot of stuff done today while it's nice out.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're suppose to get that later on this week. We just need to fill the gas cans and get the generator by the house so if it does that I will be able to use the generator and fill it seeing how FH will be out doing brining, sanding, salting so I'm trying to get a lot of stuff done today while it's nice out.
Smart! I got ready yesterday so if needed I won't be running around trying to get everything done in a hurry. 1/2 ice will bring tree limbs down.