Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you cannot separate to feed the wormer, I wouldn't use it. You would need to use more than the recommended amount to make sure that they all got enough. There is a good amount of leeway with it, so not a problem to give "more" , so it would be hard to overdose it. We used the Safeguard wormer block in the past. I am not a big fan of Safeguard. I would just use the ivermectin. If you are concerned about "worminess"... will your vet do a fecal for you? That would be the way to go....
If you have wormed them all at least once then I would only worm the bull or any that look thin or rough coated.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you cannot separate to feed the wormer, I wouldn't use it. You would need to use more than the recommended amount to make sure that they all got enough. There is a good amount of leeway with it, so not a problem to give "more" , so it would be hard to overdose it. We used the Safeguard wormer block in the past. I am not a big fan of Safeguard. I would just use the ivermectin. If you are concerned about "worminess"... will your vet do a fecal for you? That would be the way to go....
If you have wormed them all at least once then I would only worm the bull or any that look thin or rough coated.
I wanted to add, pour on cattle ivermectin is also great control for flies on the cattle. all kinds of flies but horse flies, it doesn't seem to deter horse flies. But sure does a good job on deer and black and green flies. I have it in a pump sprayer, open the knob all the way up for full stream. Spray a stream from head to tail as directed. It's easy to apply to the cattle with a pump sprayer. I can even get miss bashful daisy her dosing. I also think it may deter ticks also because I've not seen any on the cattle.

Of course follow the dosing instructions you don't want to apply it more often than the dosing instructions allow for. I use a calendar to write down the dosing days and count forward, so I don't over do it by applying sooner than instructed.

I've tried a fly control lick block, didn't seem to make any difference to me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have free range chickens, coop at night, who spread the horse manure areas. That keeps flies waaay down. Nothing for them to lay eggs in. Goat manure is pelleted, sorta hard surfaced in short time of being dropped. Again, less flies. I don't use chemicals, so do have fly predator bugs😁

Flies are her just not in abundance...

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mornin Y'all! Happy Friday!!! Happy last day of March also!!!! Let's if it goes out like a lamb, lion or both all in one day. For me today it's starting off on the cool side only 44 here and only goin to get up to 69 but by this afternoon going to rain and winds going to pick up so temp is going to drop so I guess for me March is going to end like BOTH.
I found out last night that my Aunt (Godmother) does have Stage 1 kidney cancer and now there's talk that her husband (my Uncle/Godfather) has liver cancer. I know one thing DAMN CANCER S***S!!!!!!! Please send up prayers for them and it doesn't matter to me who you pray to.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Dreamz whatcha doing?? No posts for a while.

@Country homesteader prayers for you family.

Today, have a list to complete some status checks on fences, buildings, material stockpiles in anticipation of a week at home "to do" stuff. 👍 Hope to also bushhog a little, too...as I check field fences from winter abuse/damage.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Country homesteader prayers for you family
Thank You @Mini Horses
Come on coffee
I wish mine would give me the burst I need to get going but so far it hasn't so I think it's time for me to have an energy drink (before y'all get negative about energy drinks I'm really not saying an actual energy drink (Red Bull, Monster or that sort) I'm talking about the apple cider vinegar drink I have (or try to have) everyday.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hermes is a nut. Athena can't move her rear legs well enough anymore for proper wrestling so she sits down and he rolls and wrestles with her front end.

20230330_185521.jpg