Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My daughter in law and I walked him up up from the back pasture to the finishing yard (after I repaired the fence ofcourse). Momma moo daisy followed us and baby bull calf and daisy are both together in the finishing yard for the next few days.

I prayed for the little guy after we gave him about a pint of bovine colostrum. He also got a little granddaughter lovin while daisy watched. First ever calf for me, I still am amazed how developed he is, he even has bottom teeth. He's cattle only new born sized.

Screenshot_20230906-200254.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My daughter in law and I walked him up up from the back pasture to the finishing yard (after I repaired the fence ofcourse). Momma moo daisy followed us and baby bull calf and daisy are both together in the finishing yard for the next few days.

I prayed for the little guy after we gave him about a pint of bovine colostrum. He also got a little granddaughter lovin while daisy watched. First ever calf for me, I still am amazed how developed he is, he even has bottom teeth. He's cattle only new born sized.

View attachment 24513

Wow!!! you all did it,, you are a cattle man

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter .... were you afraid that she wouldn't have colostrum for the calf? I would not introduce any outside colostrum replacer to a calf if the cow is making milk. Different if it isn't nursing, or if she doesn't have any milk or anything.
Make sure that it is Colostrum REPLACER not supplement... the supplement is only for cows with not enough... although in your case it would be okay... but it does not have the full strength antibodies... and once you open the bag of colostrum replacer, it will not keep its full strength... due to "breaking the seal" of the bag... but you could rebag it and stick it in the freezer for any future use....
And do not overfeed the calf or it will develop scours from too much, too rich milk. You can overdue the amount fed... especially early on... But if it is nursing the cow and isn't following her around or bawling like it is hungry then do not feed it... Calves will nurse frequently and only a little at a time... especially the smaller breeds....a first calf heifer's colostrum will not be as strong in antibodies as an older cows will be... but it will provide what the calf needs because she has been exposed to "your farm's germs".....

Glad that she had it with no problem and is taking care of it as she should... that is the whole deal for a first calf heifer.... let her be the momma... the more the calf sucks, the more she will be stimulated to produce which is what nature intended...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hint... they are all born with bottom teeth... and they will loose them as the adult teeth come in, but the chances of you ever finding one is very slim.... cattle only have bottom teeth.....
Amazes me they are born fully developed and ready to go. Even pups are born with their eyes closed. Not with cattle though, it's amazing to me.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of the mostly silkie roosters I butchered tonight had double alula. I had to do a double take. Thought I was seeing things. Left side wing is fully developed and right side about half developed.

Attachments

• 20230906_202301.jpg
    20230906_202301.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230906_202316.jpg
    20230906_202316.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 35

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thursday-good-morning.gif

All you need for your "magical brew in a cup" is next to the coffee pot so fix a cup and enjoy the quiet of the day. I'm about to go get me a second cup already. Dogs had me up at 2:15 even though I wanted to sleep a little later.
It's already 72 here and suppose to get up to around 95 or so. I so can't wait until we get fall (Autumn) temps.