Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
images

No matter what your preferred morning wake up cup is it's right next to the coffee pot, fix a cup or two then let's sit on the patio in the 62 morning air. I'm about to make my 2nd cup of "jet fuel".
IMG_20230917_183646.jpg

Last nights dinner! Smoked Boston Butt (pulled pork with Kentucky Bourbon BBQ sauce on hamburger bun), Cornbread muffin, Smoked Mac & Cheese and "Apple Pie" Baked Beans

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For those with Facebook
Send him to my place! I’ve seen this type thing, it’s amazing.

It’s kinda like watching the logging crew that’s clear cutting the forest that used to be next to me. No more guys on the ground with a chainsaw. A shear grabs the tree, the rotating blade at ground level shears it off, the arms clamp the tree and the operator drops it in a pile. There is a machine that tops the tree and cuts all the branches off. Another boom crane that loads the trucks. Fast, efficient and far safer than doing it all with a chainsaw.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses and I had a great day at the Gilmanor Poultry Swap that has turned into a \HUGE / as in Gigantic poultry swap, flea market type deal. Weather was absolutely gorgeous on Saturday although the sun got hot after noon time... Walked and talked for hours... nice way to celebrate my milestone birthday.....70.....
How the HE// did I get this old?????

Bought a big coyote sized live trap and might be able to catch some of the more "wiley" groundhogs in the garden with it and whatever other varmints I get in and around the chickens.

Sunday was cloudy, light rain, sprinkles, so got the rest of the peppers picked out of the garden, then inside for the wetter afternoon, and got them sliced and vacuum packed, so that part of the garden is done. Took some tomatoes to @Mini Horses and now the project is weed eating the garden so I can get in and start digging the potatoes and mark and weigh each variety... wanting to do some comparisons on growth and such... and then have some to sell at the fall farmers market here close. I basically want to pay for the seed potatoes I bought and have plenty for me and maybe make a little so I can do it next year again.... They are an easy crop overall... and the deer don't bother them and so I can have them and concentrate the other "deer and groundhog" preferred crops in a more protected garden area with the electric netting.... and maybe make the garden pay a little back too. I am probably going to get an older extra fridge to store them in so they are in climate controlled conditions.... if I go into this in a bigger way next year.
Have some fun ones, a variety called pinto, that are actually a spotted fingerling variety that are fun to dig... contrasting big yellow spots on a reddish skin....

Got to get things ready to get back to testing cows tomorrow... back to the grindstone....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the coffee! Your coffee bar is so nice, anything I want for a spectacular cup of coffee! I worked outside yesterday until 3. High of 91F and it was a lovely day. I’m putting up a scrap and crap lean to off the back of the portable building. It will be temporary until I get something better built. I still have lots of stuff at my son’s house and need to finish moving. I got six 4x4’s set and a strip of 1x4’s across the back. Ali’s modified a platform I built in Coopers pen for the dogs to get on. The sheep have rubbed on it, moved it around and the legs were all out of line, crooked every which way. I beat them into passable straightness with a small sledge hammer and braced them. Better now. I’ll be outside again today working on that lean to.

Latest posts