Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Using cream legbars works good for breeding. Legbars and ameraucana are crossed with leghorns to make super blue egg layers. Get a more prolific layer of larger eggs.

I believe the color pack layers they sell at feed stores used legbars to get the blue egg gene.

I've finally got hens that look like silkies and lay light green eggs. That's at 4th generation back cross. Another few generations and they will look like my silkies I breed for show. I used a wheaten ameraucana to add the blue in. The blue isn't stable yet. The hens are only carrying one copy. I may finally have a cockerel good enough to use. He's also 4th gen from a green egg and is looking good for 8 weeks. Hopefully he's carry a blue copy. Test breeding isn't hard to do, just takes time.

People always talked about making a silkie that laid an egg to go with the blue earlobes. I hadn't heard of anyone actually doing it. Since silkies lay a light tan (concidered tinted) the light green is closest can get. The eggs are bluer than the silver ameraucana eggs I used to get. Its all within compliance with the ameraucana egg color chart. Wide variety of blues and to mint green allowed.

View attachment 19263
Where's the 🐖? you can't have green eggs without ham, says Sam I am 🙄.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hopefully he's carry a blue copy. Test breeding isn't hard to do, just takes time.
Well, there's that "time" issue again! 😁. But chickens can be less time than some other animals. It's waiting from chick to lay that's killer :lol: I have some of the super blues and their offspring. Those will be crossed with this legbar roo. Color intensity is the hard part for blue, IMO. My mints are beautiful. 😔i have another roo from blue egg....but not sure if his dad was their Blu egg roo or not. Planning to cross him onto a couple to see what I get. Then decide his future. 🤭

My desire is a blue that's a little darker than tinted. The color is greater in younger, as well as earlier in each yr lay cycle. Have you found a feed that improves this? Or an inbreeding ratio?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen any differences with feed other than too low of a protein and my ameraucana started plucking each other to eat the feathers and egg production dropped off. I know in ameraucana that because of how colors are introduced to a breed, each color actually lays a bit different shade. Like the silvers and their mint. Wheaten have the best blues. All their eggs were pretty uniform in color and I could only tell who's was whos by slight shade differences. It was impossible on closely related hens.

One of the hatchery olive eggers, an ameraucana who had an ink problem today on the end, and one of my silkie mixes.

The rest of that egg is normal blue color that I get. Have to breed the male offspring of good colored eggs to females who lay it to keep it nice.

I don't breed the ameraucana anymore so eventually my last ones will pass. The rooster currently in there is a halfbreed silkie-ameraucana.
20220620_095854.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen any differences with feed other than too low of a protein and my ameraucana started plucking each other to eat the feathers and egg production dropped off. I know in ameraucana that because of how colors are introduced to a breed, each color actually lays a bit different shade. Like the silvers and their mint. Wheaten have the best blues. All their eggs were pretty uniform in color and I could only tell who's was whos by slight shade differences. It was impossible on closely related hens.

One of the hatchery olive eggers, an ameraucana who had an ink problem today on the end, and one of my silkie mixes.

The rest of that egg is normal blue color that I get. Have to breed the male offspring of good colored eggs to females who lay it to keep it nice.

I don't breed the ameraucana anymore so eventually my last ones will pass. The rooster currently in there is a halfbreed silkie-ameraucana.
View attachment 19267

Where's the veggies? You can't have blue eggs with out veggies.
blue-scrambled-eggs-10.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I seen I missed a call on my cell phone. Didn't recognize the number but called it back anyways. Voice message says in a strong southern female accent "sorry I missed your call. I'm gonna make this short and sweet, like me. If you leave your name and number after the tone, I'll call you back". I bust out laughing, I'm sure she will hear me laughing on voice mail. 😂 I flagged the number as spam.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On second cup of coffee. Then I'll get dressed, let sheep out in front yard. I put up electro-netting yesterday and let them have at it. They have already grazed behind the house and the small pasture. We are in drought mode, 100F + temperatures and after today, the grass is done. I'll have to dry lot them. Then I'll help Chris tear down rafters and framing on the add-on room out back.

The survey is FINALLY DONE on my new farm! Waiting on title company now, was supposed to close on Monday the 20th, it was the 3rd closing date that didn't happen. Surveys are 4-5 MONTHS out. It's crazy here. When closing happens, I'll be my usual Texas Tornado. I have a double wide interior to re-do, pens and fence to build, sheep and dogs to move, me to move and the whole complete farm. Hope I get it all done, going for knee replacement surgery September 28. Then 2 weeks in rehab and all winter in out patient therapy. I won't be moving jack squat or building more fence. Thinking about building a 16'x24' portable building, I've priced it out and can get it done for less than half of a 12'x24' building. Don't know if moving the 40' shipping containers. Got so much to do and it is finally close to actually happening. Hoping to hear from realtor soon!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today must be
On second cup of coffee. Then I'll get dressed, let sheep out in front yard. I put up electro-netting yesterday and let them have at it. They have already grazed behind the house and the small pasture. We are in drought mode, 100F + temperatures and after today, the grass is done. I'll have to dry lot them. Then I'll help Chris tear down rafters and framing on the add-on room out back.

The survey is FINALLY DONE on my new farm! Waiting on title company now, was supposed to close on Monday the 20th, it was the 3rd closing date that didn't happen. Surveys are 4-5 MONTHS out. It's crazy here. When closing happens, I'll be my usual Texas Tornado. I have a double wide interior to re-do, pens and fence to build, sheep and dogs to move, me to move and the whole complete farm. Hope I get it all done, going for knee replacement surgery September 28. Then 2 weeks in rehab and all winter in out patient therapy. I won't be moving jack squat or building more fence. Thinking about building a 16'x24' portable building, I've priced it out and can get it done for less than half of a 12'x24' building. Don't know if moving the 40' shipping containers. Got so much to do and it is finally close to actually happening. Hoping to hear from realtor soon!
Survey? Aren't the property lines clearly established already? Or is a survey required everytime the property sells?

Latest posts