Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Done! Didn't make up for us not doing Toys for Tots this year (long story) hopefully we will be back strong next year
My brother and his beloved Marine Corp League, did Toys for Tots every year. He was very active in his community. When he was dying, someone from the Marine Corp League would come and sit with him. My brother loved the Toys for Tots program.

Thanks for the memory @FarmerJamie.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Okay, odd question. Is bone broth supposed to be bitter?
When I’ve tried it before I put it in the crock pot until the bones crumbled. But it was so horribly bitter I couldn’t stand it. I’m curious if I did it wrong or if that’s what bone broth is normally.
I haven't had a batch turn bitter. I have no idea. I'm curious what others say. Do you remember details from the batch? What bones, veggies, spices you used?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Okay, odd question. Is bone broth supposed to be bitter?
When I’ve tried it before I put it in the crock pot until the bones crumbled. But it was so horribly bitter I couldn’t stand it. I’m curious if I did it wrong or if that’s what bone broth is normally.

Mine is never bitter. Tastes a bit pot roasty if there is any meat on the bones. If they are clean it's a very light beef taste. I don't add extras to it other than a little salt sometimes depending on what I'm going to do with it.

I did have an off tasting batch once from some soup bones I bought at the store. I'm pretty sure the bones hadn't been kept properly and started to go rancid. Not my fault as I put them into water frozen.

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't like adding anything until after the bones are done. Then veggies or whatever can go in on their own for their own time. Herbs for flavor go in last 15 minutes at most.

Some veggies can get nasty with long cooking. Vegetable stock shouldn't even go a full hour at simmer.
We only put them in after it was done. I’m guessing that the bones were just going bad. Didn’t think about that being a possibility. That’s why I ask lol.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Empty bottle? Miracle baby on the way?
Not completely empty 😉 although I forgot about buttoning up a shirt crooked and totally forgot how to tie a tie. After three attempts, I said forget the tie, 👔 it's only the best napkin ever invented anyways.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guys came back yesterday and got first load of wood. They loaded up a cord, figure there’s another maybe 2 cords on the ground. One cut rounds off the butt end to make end tables with. Turns out he and his wife make all kinds of custom stuff.

I’ve made them a deal to clean a short span of fence row, maybe 300’ in exchange for 20 pine trees that have to come down. The craft guy is keeping all the rusty barn wire to make stuff with. They killed a copperhead while chainsawing through the brush. He was happy to have it, he makes beautiful things out of the snakeskins too.

They are going to pile everything up so I can burn it. I get that monster downed dead tree gone, the pines in the fence row cut and gone, the fence row all cleaned up ready for new fence, all the rotten posts and old wire gone and it ain’t costing me a thing. They get to sell the firewood, get oak rounds for tables, old barbed wire for crafts and even a copperhead. We are all happy!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Guys came back yesterday and got first load of wood. They loaded up a cord, figure there’s another maybe 2 cords on the ground. One cut rounds off the butt end to make end tables with. Turns out he and his wife make all kinds of custom stuff.

I’ve made them a deal to clean a short span of fence row, maybe 300’ in exchange for 20 pine trees that have to come down. The craft guy is keeping all the rusty barn wire to make stuff with. They killed a copperhead while chainsawing through the brush. He was happy to have it, he makes beautiful things out of the snakeskins too.

They are going to pile everything up so I can burn it. I get that monster downed dead tree gone, the pines in the fence row cut and gone, the fence row all cleaned up ready for new fence, all the rotten posts and old wire gone and it ain’t costing me a thing. They get to sell the firewood, get oak rounds for tables, old barbed wire for crafts and even a copperhead. We are all happy!
win-win!!