Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I personally give my own dog shots - except for rabies. I also see nothing wrong with getting the rabies shot at a low-cost clinic or a mobile site. A rabies shot is a rabies shot. I also give my goat and horse vaccinations. It does save money and the animal is getting the same meds that the vet gives.

It's not just about the money. I've spent my life with animals. I take very good care of them and have the knowledge to do so. If my dog is ill or injured above what I can take care of we see the vet. I've worked with a mobile vet and have seen everything from folks who do nothing for their animals to the folks who do treat them like their kids. If folks want to treat them like their children - do what makes you happy but please don't knock folks who don't do things like you do.

As far as money goes. I lost a dog last year that I spent over 7K dollars to try to save. At the last specialty clinic we went to the estimate for his care was in excess of 10K (over and above the 7K I'd already spent). I signed up for it, but even they couldn't save him and I was refunded most of the 10K. So, please don't put folks down who choose HOW to spend their money on their own animals.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to add to the above. The title of this forum is Sufficient Self. There is nothing more self-sufficient than having the knowledge and the skills to give your animals basic care. When I worked with the vet (actually two vets) there was nothing that either of them loved more than teaching an owner how to do basic care.

The more willing the owner was - the more we would teach them. We taught them how to give injections - IM, and SQ and even IV to the ones who wanted to learn. We taught them how to give SQ fluids. You'd be surprised at how many didn't even know how to take a temp. Veterinarians will do their best to take care of almost any situation, but they definitely appreciate someone who will invest their own time and energy into their animals. The more knowledge you have the more likely you are to recognize a situation where professional intervention is necessary.

I'm not knocking anyone who takes care of their animal - whether a veterinarian does it or the owner does. All I'm asking is for decency and respect for those who do differently than you.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Agree with FEM. The clinic serve a purpose. There are people who are not able to get to a vet...appts. etc. At least they can slide in to these places. Also does not mean the animals aren't getting the care they need.

I also administer shots, meds and medical attention to my farm animals. Yes, it saves $$. It also saves lives. My vet doesn't always have time to come give a common shot to 30 goats! He taught me how...and taught me to ultra sound my mares, collect stallions, draw blood, etc. My equipment cost thousands and he even borrowed some when his was in repairs. When I was breeding 20+ mares a year, his training me to assist foalings was used...and saved lives.

Using a medical "drive thru" facility should not carry a look of disgust, rather applause for availability and yes, saving $. The spay/neuter clinics are the greatest!! Gets so many taken care of. I know many who have taken half ferals to them. KUDOS!!

Think more like a box of cookies, on sale...buy up. 😊

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would add....having only dogs or cats might make being open to more extensive knowledge less appealing or needed. The fact that both myself and @frustratedearthmother have and have had, years of various farm animals and emergencies that required immediate assistance -- that would make us look differently as to extent of care, when, how, why.

I'm sure neither of us post these replies as more than a counter post to facility use and reasonings.
Never meaning to be judgemental to another's thoughts on the matter -- only expanding their exposure for use by others.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm sure neither of us post these replies as more than a counter post to facility use and reasonings.
Never meaning to be judgemental to another's thoughts on the matter -- only expanding their exposure for use by others.
Absolutely! Just asking folks to understand that there are many ways to contribute to the care of our animals.

In the last couple of weeks I've given boosters to all my pregnant goats. Those boosters will give their babies a great start in life by receiving super charged colostrum full of antibodies. I couldn't ask a vet to come out numerous times to do that for me. All the does are due at different time and the injections have to be timed based on their due dates.

There's nothing magical about who gives the injection - as long as it is given!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The main purpose of getting vaccinations from a vet (other than rabies) is for the exam and *owner education.* I would strongly recommend that a first time dog owner (including an SS one) and take advantage of the opportunity. People do incredibly cruel things to pets simply because they are uneducated about the species.

On the other hand, for an educated and experienced owner, the education and exam portion is not necessary (in my personal opinion...). An experienced owner already monitors their dog's condition, is aware of any changes of behavior that suggest a health problem. They know about parasites, and diseases which can be spread to people. They already do the fecal exam, heartworm screening, etc. At that point the best way the experienced owner can care for a dog is to set aside money for larger routine expenses, such as dental care if they choose to not brush their dog's teeth, and emergency expenses.

I agree with @frustratedearthmother about having your vet teach you skills and about the legitimacy of SS pet care. *Before I married a vet*, I could
  • take body temperature
  • trim nails
  • administer medications - oral, topical, injected
  • induce vomiting
  • administer SQ fluids
  • IM and SQ injections
  • draw blood
  • brush teeth, scale teeth
  • insert a stomach feeding tube
  • prepare and read vaginal smear cytology
  • artificial insemination
  • calculate a nutritionally complete/balanced homemade diet to meet AAFCO standards

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The main purpose of getting vaccinations from a vet (other than rabies) is for the exam and *owner education.* I would strongly recommend that a first time dog owner (including an SS one) and take advantage of the opportunity. People do incredibly cruel things to pets simply because they are uneducated about the species.

On the other hand, for an educated and experienced owner, the education and exam portion is not necessary (in my personal opinion...). An experienced owner already monitors their dog's condition, is aware of any changes of behavior that suggest a health problem. They know about parasites, and diseases which can be spread to people. They already do the fecal exam, heartworm screening, etc. At that point the best way the experienced owner can care for a dog is to set aside money for larger routine expenses, such as dental care if they choose to not brush their dog's teeth, and emergency expenses.

I agree with @frustratedearthmother about having your vet teach you skills and about the legitimacy of SS pet care. *Before I married a vet*, I could
  • take body temperature
  • trim nails
  • administer medications - oral, topical, injected
  • induce vomiting
  • administer SQ fluids
  • IM and SQ injections
  • draw blood
  • brush teeth, scale teeth
  • insert a stomach feeding tube
  • prepare and read vaginal smear cytology
  • artificial insemination
  • calculate a nutritionally complete/balanced homemade diet to meet AAFCO standards

Induced vomiting in Hermes when he ate the dang xilitol. Mostly likely saved his life because I did it before calling anyone and got it out. Then got him to the emergency vet. He still hasn't forgiven me and runs if he sees the peroxide bottle.

I am not good with many dog medical things so if something odd is happening I ask the vet. I attempted CPR on Zeus but his heart stopped again on way to vet. I can remove dewclaws on puppies because I was shown how several times growing up, but tails are a vet thing if needed.

Chickens I can vaccinate. I was shown how to properly give the Mareks vaccine and have now done enough that I don't freak out. Would probably be easier on non-bantams. I have an issue with needles. Mild phobia that I've tried working through.

I can tube and pill a chicken. Crests make those easier to do alone because you have a handle.

I can pill a cat or dog faster than they can figure out what I'm doing. The cats are bad about being caught for vet visits so I have to trick them. They know when I'm planning one.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know too many who should not be allowed any animals because any vet care is concidered too costly by them. Lucky if a dog makes it to 5 years. Or the idiot who penned sheep without food in the high desert because they could just "graze". Aunt called cops on that one after 3 days passed and she had witnessed this.

Neighbor of one family member gets 1 to 2 cats a year even though he told them before the first one not to get cats. Eagles ate them

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I think of all the money I coulda saved from routine shots for dogs and cats....But I lived in suburbia and didn't know. Now that we're in the country and have found farm stores, our newest puppy Maverick got all his shots from me. But when the time came, it was to the vet for Rabies and Lepto.

Just took the Russian Blue into the vet this a.m. I suspect kidney disease so the $230 lab work up will tell me and then we'll go from there.

Latest posts