Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Thank you @baymule
I just wish FH would have let me get a head start on all this last year then my mind wouldn't be a jumbled mess right now!!! I feel like it's going to be rushed and not look so pretty, nobody will enjoy or like it. My nerves are a mess already and yes I understand that as whatever date we pick gets closer they are just going to get worse.
Make your marriage beautiful and the wedding won't matter. If somebody doesn't enjoy or like your celebration, they don't deserve to be there. It's about celebrating your marriage, not about their party experience. Don't be afraid to go for a nontraditional bash, like a surprise wedding or family elopement. You do you!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
They'll love it, no matter when or where 🥰

My 2nd wedding was at justice of peace, just us!! Best marriage ever. My soul mate!
My 2nd was a wedding chapel in Vegas. No planning stress (DH planned the flights and hotels, picked a wedding chapel and made an appointment, and pre-registered for the certificate). We picked up the certificate from the office the day before, and showed up at the chapel for our appointment. Shortest ceremony ever, no fuss, didn't even bother with a white dress or photographer. It was perfection for us. 🥰

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My 2nd was a wedding chapel in Vegas. No planning stress (DH planned the flights and hotels, picked a wedding chapel and made an appointment, and pre-registered for the certificate). We picked up the certificate from the office the day before, and showed up at the chapel for our appointment. Shortest ceremony ever, no fuss, didn't even bother with a white dress or photographer. It was perfection for us. 🥰
My second was a simply ceremony in the church I was raised with just my eldest and her now husband. It's all we needed

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a shotgun wedding. I was 40, he was 50, I was spayed, he was “fixed”, but yep, we had a SHOTGUN WEDDING.

The Sheriff of the county walked in with a shot gun and announced, “I’m here to make sure Bobby Joe gets married and Dana don’t run off.”

IMG_1278.jpeg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on your wedding. Don't worry too much about it.

My family said the best wedding they ever went to was when I married my husband. He wore his uniform and I found a cream lace dress on sale. Had it at my Grandma's (Mom's mom) out in the country. My Grandpa (Dad's dad) performed the ceremony as a local judge. We just set up chairs and tables and everyone brought some food. No decorations. Mom and Great Aunt made a small fancy cake (they made cakes for all of the family weddings). I picked up some mixed flowers from the grocery store and Mom turned them into a nice bouquet. Wedding took 10 minutes. One minute of that was Grandpa asking if anyone had objections and waiting saying "this is what we call a pregnant pause". Grandpa was wearing overalls. Total cost was about $150

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What you got in that bucket?
IMG_20230622_172543439.jpg

Ah... daily ration of commodity 😋
IMG_20230622_171705238.jpg

I find it hard to get used too, that he has tan colored skin. His skin is the same color as his nose. Also kind of curious what calves will look like from him. Red belted galloway bull + black and dun belted galloway cow and hefiers = ???

They are all healthy on pasture grass, fresh water, mineral lick and daily ration of commodity, plus scheduled ivermectin, that's what's really important.

He forgot to mention they also rock a wild 80's style hairdo.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a shotgun wedding. I was 40, he was 50, I was spayed, he was “fixed”, but yep, we had a SHOTGUN WEDDING.

The Sheriff of the county walked in with a shot gun and announced, “I’m here to make sure Bobby Joe gets married and Dana don’t run off.”

View attachment 23673
Looks like a breach load over and under, the sheriff means business 😂

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When are you expecting the calves? I hate to say this and it is not being critical... but they do not need any grain on the grass you have except maybe once or twice a week to keep them friendly... and if the cows and heifers get too fat on it they will have calving problems. The calves will grow too big inside, the cows will have excess fat which will make the calving canal tighter... Cattle are designed to eat grasses and hay.... rough forage... grain has it's place but it is not with bred cows and heifers and developing fetuses..... save it and your wallet for the winter time to supplement lower protein feeds when it is cold.
They look good but almost look too good....don't kill them with kindness.... they should be, and stay, well rounded on grass pasture and hay in the winter... until they get old and they have trouble with teeth or lack of them... I don't think you have any that are old or are "broken mouth or smooth mouthed".

And I would suggest to not worm them regularly.... they will not develop any tolerance to worms, and the worms will develop an immunity to the wormer over time if they are constantly subjected to it. We will worm our calves after they are weaned off the cows. PERIOD.... the only time a cow gets wormed is if she is looking thin or has an exceedingly rough hair coat or does not shed out in the spring. Then, the worms have not built up any tolerance to the wormer and it will do a better job of getting them than if they have built up a tolerance.
If you are going to go through and worm, do them all and move them to a different pasture after 48 hours so anything in their gut tract will have a chance to be expelled...and no worm larvae have had a chance to climb the grass stalks yet; then don't worm again unless you see a problem. In that case, I would take a fecal sample from a thin or "wormy looking " cow to a vet to do a fecal test and see what kind of worms they are sporting...

When we call our cattle in to the pen, they will get a 5 gallon bucket for 15-20 cows.... they get a couple mouthfuls..... enough for them to think "OHHH TREATS" and not enough to let them eat for more than a couple minutes.....
Winter we feed more... but not alot more. They need the roughage - hay - to keep their rumen working good which also creates heat.
In summer the grass will keep their digestive tract working, but does not create as much heat since it is "wetter" and goes through them faster...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When are you expecting the calves? I hate to say this and it is not being critical... but they do not need any grain on the grass you have except maybe once or twice a week to keep them friendly... and if the cows and heifers get too fat on it they will have calving problems. The calves will grow too big inside, the cows will have excess fat which will make the calving canal tighter... Cattle are designed to eat grasses and hay.... rough forage... grain has it's place but it is not with bred cows and heifers and developing fetuses..... save it and your wallet for the winter time to supplement lower protein feeds when it is cold.
They look good but almost look too good....don't kill them with kindness.... they should be, and stay, well rounded on grass pasture and hay in the winter... until they get old and they have trouble with teeth or lack of them... I don't think you have any that are old or are "broken mouth or smooth mouthed".

And I would suggest to not worm them regularly.... they will not develop any tolerance to worms, and the worms will develop an immunity to the wormer over time if they are constantly subjected to it. We will worm our calves after they are weaned off the cows. PERIOD.... the only time a cow gets wormed is if she is looking thin or has an exceedingly rough hair coat or does not shed out in the spring. Then, the worms have not built up any tolerance to the wormer and it will do a better job of getting them than if they have built up a tolerance.
If you are going to go through and worm, do them all and move them to a different pasture after 48 hours so anything in their gut tract will have a chance to be expelled...and no worm larvae have had a chance to climb the grass stalks yet; then don't worm again unless you see a problem. In that case, I would take a fecal sample from a thin or "wormy looking " cow to a vet to do a fecal test and see what kind of worms they are sporting...

When we call our cattle in to the pen, they will get a 5 gallon bucket for 15-20 cows.... they get a couple mouthfuls..... enough for them to think "OHHH TREATS" and not enough to let them eat for more than a couple minutes.....
Winter we feed more... but not alot more. They need the roughage - hay - to keep their rumen working good which also creates heat.
In summer the grass will keep their digestive tract working, but does not create as much heat since it is "wetter" and goes through them faster...
You just confirmed a lot of what I was thinking about. Thank you for taking time to reply 👍