Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
62 up to 94 today. Mostly sun after some morning clouds... not as humid... Looking at a week of pretty much dry, low humidity weather... making sorghum-sudan grass hay this week ... got 25 acres or so on the ground... some mowed Tues, some today... I will tedd out the tues mowed tomorrow (10+ acres total in 2 fields) and then other 14 acres mowed this afternoon on Fri or Sat. Going to dry bale it instead of "wet baling (high moisture) and wrapping to make baleage... the protein and all would be a little better in the baleage but it is added time and expense for the wrapping and so smarter to just dry bale and they might waste a little but son said it is not stalky.... so they should eat it pretty good.

Put the soaker hoses on the beans, today, so I can get one more picking... lots of small beans...then will pull them after I pick.
Defrosting a freezer that obviously needs a new gasket around the door... but it is so old I don't know if I can get one or get it replaced... may replace the freezer and keep this for part-time use as a place to stash beef we have done and when someone backs out at the last minute.... that sort of thing.
I need another fridge to put stuff in when it gets harvested until I get it worked up... and a place to keep potatoes in temp controlled environment... NOT a frost free one... so it doesn't suck the moisture out... keep them at 45-50 degree temps for the winter and not sprouting...

It is a hot busy week, and putting up the feed for winter is a whole n'other world of work right there! hard work for sure.
I am freezing tomatoes to make and can pasta sauce, I need to pull up the parsnips and can them, I am going to make german spiced red cabbage and can it, and there is one more full row of beets for pickled beets. And the it will be apple picking time.
It looks like I'll have 5 to 7 pie pumpkins and :fl maybe acorn squash.
That's a good idea for a fridge,
Well acuweather and the weather channel say its 91 out, but I thinks its dropped, here at least, i can tell by the chickens, they are a bit more active so its cooling off.

10pm for you,,sleep well

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was cool enough at 7:15 to go down and water the elderberry trees and the squash, I got the lavender beds watered,,

image_17197057.JPG

8:37 and the chicks are heading into the coop,, its 75 out now, what a relief.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 204139.jpg

Days are getting shorter,

Well I better go help the 4 week olds they have a hard time at night getting on the roost

night all

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning everyone! Everything is by the coffee pot for Y'all to help yourselves to coffee which I'm going on my 2nd cup now that FH has left for work then once that's gone I'll start the house work so that way I can use tomorrow (Friday) for all ay prep of some of the foods we are going to have on Saturday.
All I know is I did something to my neck the other day and don't know what but it's stiffer than a dry piece of wood you're trying to form into something else but every now and then I have little spasms in it so hopefully by Sat I will be able to turn my head to the right without having pain. I get told I'm OCD seeing how I make timelines that I like to follow but I say it's being organized (EVEN THOUGH MY DESK AREA SAYS DIFFERENTLY LoL :lol::D :gig).
Hope everyone has a Thankful Thursday!!!
1274.jpg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coffee, chores, go to work. 🙄
We're having rains again....light but still wet. So, might as well be at work 🤷 sure humid outside.

same here, yesterday morning was thick enough to chew while trying to breathe...

hope this morning is better but i won't be out there too long with the squall line heading at us.

we sure don't need any more rains.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Coffee, chores, go to work. 🙄
We're having rains again....light but still wet. So, might as well be at work 🤷 sure humid outside.

same here, yesterday morning was thick enough to chew while trying to breathe...

hope this morning is better but i won't be out there too long with the squall line heading at us.

we sure don't need any more rains.

Good morning,
humidity is not fun, it does make it hard to breath, We so much need rain, the forest is suffering.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Perfect summer day here yesterday. Had to go into the office yesterday. Had my biweekly 1-1 with my boss outside at a picnic table.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to tend to the herb I dried out on the porch and then catch up on the house work. I may go get a hair cut, its been a year, very year when its hot I just want to shave my head,, I have done good this year and talk myself off the wall several times,, but then I see a gal with a cute short cut and get the itch, hahahaha,,
BUT holy cow, I say! in this economy having to go even once a month to have someone trim it up for? $20 or so, I feel is , for me an indulgence, thats $240 a year not counting tax I could use toward ,,,,🤔 Ah! paint the inside of this house need paint so bad and I just didnt want to spent the money. A 5gal bucket of good ,
last long, paint is 🤯 :ep $219.00 and wow, how many gallons would it take to properly cover- not put on as thin as you can- do it right??
so no,, we have not painted the inside,,,, I'll just keep the house as clean as I can, and wait for us to win the lottery so we can paint, hahahaha :lol: but looking at world events,,,, I really dont think even that would be a wise use of funds.
Have a great Thursday,, its coop time

01841c357dc1ea762f13a7fe6f2d2633.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-UL...VyM_CBB1NjQ3hEAQYAyABEgLz7fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds