Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I paid my hairdresser around 12 dozen eggs when she did it and another 15 dozen last time we visited. Fine, I had Mom do it as that's what she did for a job. She only does certain family now as she can't stand that long. My hair goes fast as it's always been fine and somewhat thin. Its just gotten thinner as I got older. I prefer enough to make a decent ponytail at night. I've taken to wearing bandanas and headbands of we're going out most of the time to keep it back and not tangling from the windows down.

I do hubby's hair. He has a length he likes and I just shave to that. When he can get a really good grip in his hair it's time for anothe trim.

I've been practicing dog grooming. Hermes has hair on his chest and stomach that nearly touches the ground. Not good with mud which he loves. Also has grinch feet. He doesn't mind the trimmer and doesn't need tied to stand still while I attempt to make it even. You wouldn't believe the amount of hair I shave off the bottom of his paws. I didn't believe it. Ares will be as bad

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all of that ???? Green stuff out in the field do you cut back on store bought feed so they will eat more grass???
I cut back on commodity several weeks ago, once the rains returned and grass started growing again.

anyone have tips on harvesting corn stalks for cow chow? I have some I need to chop down and bundle. just feed them the entire stalk, no need to chop up?

Thanks 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just feed the entire stalk. They will eat from the top down more or less... leaving some of the thicker part at the bottom maybe.... Since there will be some competition, they may do a better job of cleaning it up. I am assuming you are going to store it under cover for winter? No need to waste it on them now when they have plenty of pasture...

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Food all in the cooler chests and boxes covered with blankets... It is about all defrosted inside... after all day... it was really frozen in the top and it was hard to get the door open at first. But, it is done, going in to wipe the inside down and dry it... then will fill it back up again and restack/sort things so can start finding things easier to use them. I am looking at thin strips of weather stripping to put on the door to make it tighter.... real thin so that it does not affect it shutting. Will probably put something on it to keep it shut tighter... Thanks, the velcro is an idea too... I usually try to stuff too much in them and so they probably would close better if it wasn't soooo full....
Tedded out some of the sorghum but it was still too green.... so wanted to let it dry more on top today and will go back tomorrow and see if I can get it to spread better without the slip clutch constantly "slipping" as it is supposed to do with too much of a "load" going through it. Took 3 x longer to do the one field so decided that was enough... tomorrow I hope that the top side of the rows will be alot drier and will feed through with the greener stuff under neath and get mixed together and get spread to dry better.
Won't touch the 14 acres before Saturday and DS is mowing the 10 acres across from me since we are supposed to have a dry stretch for at least a week. He will finish mowing it tomorrow and I might see about tedding on Sunday or Monday... He said that if it is too long, he will take the bush hog over it cand shop it up some so it is shorter length and will tedd out better. We have done that once or twice in the past also.

Tired out, but still have to go dry freezer out inside and get it repacked.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just feed the entire stalk. They will eat from the top down more or less... leaving some of the thicker part at the bottom maybe.... Since there will be some competition, they may do a better job of cleaning it up. I am assuming you are going to store it under cover for winter? No need to waste it on them now when they have plenty of pasture...
Thank you for that. I was planning on hand bundling with some bailing twine and stack the bundles in the barn. I suppose I could unwrap a bundle and stick in the hay ring along with a hay round, when I set out hay this winter.

We had drought late spring / mid summer. Hay demand was crazy around here 😲. I would like to prepare for a harsh winter, dry spring. why waste perfectly good corn stalks? if I prepare for a harsh winter, dry spring, I think it would be smart.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for that. I was planning on hand bundling with some bailing twine and stack the bundles in the barn. I suppose I could unwrap a bundle and stick in the hay ring along with a hay round, when I set out hay this winter.

We had drought late spring / mid summer. Hay demand was crazy around here 😲. I would like to prepare for a harsh winter, dry spring. why waste perfectly good corn stalks? if I prepare for a harsh winter, dry spring, I think it would be smart.

Never have too much roughage for the cattle's diet. The protein will be low, but feeding cornstalks has been around FOREVER... and sweet corn stalks actually have a little more sugar in them even when dry so the cattle will like them. Plus, it will be something "different" when they get tired of looking at hay every day..... :lol:.
Seriously though, being prepared for a harsh winter, dry spring, or any other possible unfavorable conditions is smart. Having more hay than you need is way better than needing it and there is none around, or it is sooooo expensive that there is no way you can justify it.
@baymule is so dry in TX that she has dry lotted her sheep and is feeding hay. Hay that she had hoped would get her through the winter with added picking in the field... now she is talking about trying to find more hay to be sure she has enough to get through the winter.... granted she needs to get more fencing done, to expand to more rotational type grazing, but the heat and lack of rain has dried everything up and it is getting burnt to a crisp....she pulled them off the pasture so they don't eat it to the roots and then it won't come back when they do get some rain....
I would feed the cornstalks before you put out a new roll of hay so they can eat them first... don't need them pulling them out of the hay ring and playing with them and wasting them. If you are thinking..." I need to put hay out tomorrow"... feed the corn stalks this afternoon or first thing in the morning so they will eat them and not play with them.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good Morning all! Coffee is all ready and set up so make a cup and enjoy the patio even though it's 71 right now but going up to 80 later on today.
I'm debating right now if I want to lay down and snooze for a couple hours or start the prep work for tomorrow. I have LOTS to do before later today when our lawn service comes. Once FH comes home from work it's going to be set up time for the big tent and a couple tables. I'll take pics so I can share with you all.
fbb71f3be486db51ac38a357d19df5b1.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Forgot to mention I heard my first cricket of the season Wednesday. Fall is coming