Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First time ever trying beef bacon 😋 one of our local processors cuts and packages it. I thought I would give it a try. I don't think it's cured or seasoned at all and I'm unsure what cut it comes from, the belly perhaps? IDK... I can say it's delicious though. there were 6 pieces (were) 😂View attachment 24495

Yellow pine logs from yesterday, 4 bucked at 12' 6". should make good 2x6's.
View attachment 24496

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

I'd picked up a pack of Kosher bacon at Costco Business center once. Hubby was a bit indifferent to it. Beef bacon was pretty good I think and much better than any chicken or turkey monstrosity that is manufactured with too much salt.

I don't think it's a good replacement for adding to potato soup, but it made some great sandwiches.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beef bacon? Please find out where he cuts it from. Maybe in a year or two, I’ll raise a steer and I sure would like to try that

I will come mid next month. Beef bacon is something completely new to me and was surprised, thought I would share my experience with you all. It cooks up fast also.

steers do better in pairs, but you probably already know that.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd picked up a pack of Kosher bacon at Costco Business center once. Hubby was a bit indifferent to it. Beef bacon was pretty good I think and much better than any chicken or turkey monstrosity that is manufactured with too much salt.

I don't think it's a good replacement for adding to potato soup, but it made some great sandwiches.

IDK... everyone is different, with different preferences that's why there's a big pork bacon variety I reckon. No right or wrong answers here... only that I believe most people like bacon 😁

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lunch and hot tea time,,
I got my list done, boy,, I cant keep my eyes open, I am going to go lay down,,, 🥱😴

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IDK... everyone is different, with different preferences that's why there's a big pork bacon variety I reckon. No right or wrong answers here... only that I believe most people like bacon 😁

The chicken and turkey bacon is because it was supposed to be "healthier". I remember all the commercials pushing that when it came out and suddenly they stopped when it was pointed out it's less healthy than regular pork bacon. In part because it has so much more salt.

Uncured bacon or other meats. "Oh it's healthier" no it has more nitrites than the nitrite salt that's used to cure meat because the celery powder they use has so much. I can't eat any of it. Makes me vomit until my stomach is past empty. Eating more than a rib of celery also gets me. So I am careful using with how much I use is soups and stews.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chicken and turkey bacon is because it was supposed to be "healthier". I remember all the commercials pushing that when it came out and suddenly they stopped when it was pointed out it's less healthy than regular pork bacon. In part because it has so much more salt.

Uncured bacon or other meats. "Oh it's healthier" no it has more nitrites than the nitrite salt that's used to cure meat because the celery powder they use has so much. I can't eat any of it. Makes me vomit until my stomach is past empty. Eating more than a rib of celery also gets me. So I am careful using with how much I use is soups and stews.
Allergic to celery? That is a new one for me!

Well... at least you aren't missing much!

But yes, it is probably snuck into a bunch of foods as a seasoning???? So difficult to avoid?

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do any of you add ACV to your chickens water? and if you do what noticeable difference's do you notice?
I have read 1 to 2 Tlb per gallon?? is this what you do?

COFFEE TIME!

Latest posts