Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
1694333843613.jpeg

Whatever you want coffee, tea, Hot Chocolate is right next to the coffee pot so fix a cup and enjoy the cool morning air on the patio (66 right now). Lots of sweets are next to the stove so help yourselves to donuts, choc chip cookie (from Papa Johns), pieces of chocolate (leftover from FH safety class yesterday), cupcakes. If it's TOO early for sweets then there is a breakfast thingy I had made for FH to take with him yesterday but he wouldn't take it. I took 6 large soft tortilla wraps laid on cookie sheet, put a layer of shredded cheese on, cooked up a pkg of bacon (to cook it easier I cut the pkg in half with kitchen scissors before taking out of plastic wrapper), laid the bacon on the cheese once it drained and cooled, made/cooked scrambled eggs, spread on top of bacon, put a few slices cheese, used a couple smaller soft tortilla wraps, folded the bigger ones over the smaller ones, sprayed with cooking spray, placed pan in preheated 375 oven for 20 and TAA DAA handheld breakfast for on the go once cool enough to handle.
Speaking of FH safety course/ class he is NOW VDot certified for traffic control and has to carry a book with him at all times. There was only 8 people hand picked out of the two milling crews that his employer has that did that class yesterday.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter You know you have one bull with the calves that your homestead was blessed with but if you don't want to many you could always have 1-2 banded so they turn into STEERS which would give you BEEF after they become a good age and size to be sent to slaughter. I think HOMEGROWN PASTURE RAISED beef is a whole LOT healthier and better tasting than the store brought stuff. I'm going to have FH talk to his boss about the cows he has on his property down in Brunswick/McKenney because if when the BOSS decides to slaughter I want some meat of the good kind. I know here shortly they (BOSS hunt club) are going to be selling HOMEMADE Sausage and YUP FH is going to have to get us at least 6 (5# zippy bags) cuz I use it a lot and have stopped totally getting sausage from the store.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My sister has had an ear issue since May and has a bad sinus infection,, she has had several different antibiotics but nothing is helping her this far.

does she have teeth problems on that side of her face? sometimes teeth issues can end up also being ear and sinus issues.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
oreo had a baby bull calf yesterday, has white belt but does not cross his back, but runs up both sides. He's dry, up and on the colostrum 👍
Screenshot_20230910-194527~2.png

we are still unsure about bessey's calf other than her calf has a wider belt, that completely encircles its midsection. I'm pretty sure bessey's calf is a girl, baby heifer calf. but we haven't got close enough to her calf yet to be absolutely positive.

Still completely amazed how big and fully developed a newborn calf is.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When Romeo arrived, brought girls into estrus, he went right to work!! 😁 nice to have it "over" and calves to have playmates. Congrats!

Now the fun of watching them grow up. :love

Which cow is being considered for future milking?

Milking? what's that? 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congrats on the calves... so no waiting and worrying now... you need to consider banding the bull calves at this point... alot easier to handle at a couple days... and then there is not the worry of later banding and possible problems and infections... and you need to consider when you want to have calves next year and take the bull out for a couple months... put back in with them in Nov for late summer/early fall calves... like this time next year... and make sure you get the heifer calf out of there before she is 6 months or so... she can come in heat and you do NOT want an OOPS baby with her getting pregnant and calving before 20-24 months...and yes, it has happened to ALL OF US.....not fair to the heifer and it will stunt her growth some also.... as well as possible calving problems because she could be calving at 16-18 months.... that is like a 14 yr old girl having a baby when her body is not really mature... they can do it... but definitely LESS THAN OPTIMAL.....
With all the grass you have they will get back to normal inside and should breed back from having good nutrition... they need 60-90 days of not being pregnant to just get a rest....