CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
f3fdf349b1951dbd.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the calves... so no waiting and worrying now... you need to consider banding the bull calves at this point... alot easier to handle at a couple days... and then there is not the worry of later banding and possible problems and infections... and you need to consider when you want to have calves next year and take the bull out for a couple months... put back in with them in Nov for late summer/early fall calves... like this time next year... and make sure you get the heifer calf out of there before she is 6 months or so... she can come in heat and you do NOT want an OOPS baby with her getting pregnant and calving before 20-24 months...and yes, it has happened to ALL OF US.....not fair to the heifer and it will stunt her growth some also.... as well as possible calving problems because she could be calving at 16-18 months.... that is like a 14 yr old girl having a baby when her body is not really mature... they can do it... but definitely LESS THAN OPTIMAL.....
With all the grass you have they will get back to normal inside and should breed back from having good nutrition... they need 60-90 days of not being pregnant to just get a rest....

Neighbor gave me his father's bander yesterday. It's a nice heavy duty one, all stainless even the spring is stainless and a bag of bands also. He told me to keep the bands in the refrigerator, so I am. He's also going to show me how to use it. we will probably band the first bull calf tomorrow. That is if we can catch him he's running around the finishing yard pretty fast.

I already know about the heifer calf and I don't want Romeo to breed his own offspring or chance some strange things happening (don't want). We were talking about maybe trading her for another belted galloway heifer after she weened, but I think my neighbor wants her. We will try our imperfect best, it's all anyone can do.

Thank you for all the advise FJ 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had cereal with some blueberries on it and some brown sugar. i'm still addicted to sugar... try to have only a little here or there so this morning it was here. :)

after last week's caffiene withdrawal headache i won't be venturing too near any real coffee or too much chocolate. i had three days in a row where i had too much of those and i knew i was likely setting myself up for a headache and when it started up i went and drank some more caffiene which took the headache down a notch but then later on it came back anyways. next day my brain feels like someone took an egg beater in there and just messed around for fun... ugh...

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good-morning-have-a-blessed-monday.jpg

I apologize for being so late this morning FH had to leave for work very early this AM (3AM) seeing how his crew is working in Maryland this week (that's like a 5 hour drive in a dump truck depending on traffic) so I went back to bed once he left.
Everything you need for a cup of coffee, tea, Hot Chocolate is right next to the coffee pot so help yourselves. IT's 72 outside right now, today and tomorrow it's suppose to go up to the 80s then after that ONLY going to be in the 70s which I like better and might be able to get a LOT of the outside work at least started seeing how this past weekend was a complete washout with the rain we got.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had cereal with some blueberries on it and some brown sugar. i'm still addicted to sugar... try to have only a little here or there so this morning it was here. :)

after last week's caffiene withdrawal headache i won't be venturing too near any real coffee or too much chocolate. i had three days in a row where i had too much of those and i knew i was likely setting myself up for a headache and when it started up i went and drank some more caffiene which took the headache down a notch but then later on it came back anyways. next day my brain feels like someone took an egg beater in there and just messed around for fun... ugh...
YA,,, I try and decaffeinate a few times a year, nows a good time, no massive get-it-done list like in the spring,,
I cheat and try not to kill my liver--PTL for ibuprofen

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
YA,,, I try and decaffeinate a few times a year, nows a good time, no massive get-it-done list like in the spring,,
I cheat and try not to kill my liver--PTL for ibuprofen

except some headache medicines have caffiene in them... i learned that lesson years ago. oops... i'm back to my regular arrangement now and that doesn't trigger anything when i stop for a few days. 1 square of good chocolate a day.

ibuprofen makes me hyper like i've taken caffiene and yes if i take it for several days in a row and suddenly stop i'll get withdrawal headaches from that too. i have to gradually knock it back. i'm very glad that i rarely need it these days and only usually for a day or two and most times it won't kick off a withdrawal headache from one or two days of 400mg taken three times a day. three days and i'm shot so have to phase it out then. but i'm also glad that when i need it to work it still does.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
72deace09d2246374713d26ed2a9744c.jpg

Everything you need for your morning cup is beside the coffee pot so brew a cup and enjoy the patio in the 66 temp while mentally making to do list for today.
I really wanted to sleep in but the dogs are so used to getting up at a certain time that I had to get up so I have already had my first cup but am highly thinking about taking a nap.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Up too early this morning but, up and awake! Had hot tea, now coffee is just finishing the brew. 😁. Waiting on daylight and not thrilled with these shorter daylight hours, it's my dislike about fall & winter seasons. Well, not a cold lover either! So winter has two points against it for me :old :idunno

Now I'm starting to see these reports of colder, snowier being thought as what winter 2023 will bring. :( I'm already hating it....hasn't happened and I'm hating it. Just the thoughts of trudging snow is a downer. I'll prepare for it but haven't had more than a flurry of snow in several years & that's fine!! 👍

Had a few hours of tractor therapy yesterday.😊 More to do but, working today thru Thur. Rains tomorrow & poss late today. That's why I scheduled work in stores. Then, cooling off temps for farm work Friday. :clap Sat I'm going to chicken swap.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
72deace09d2246374713d26ed2a9744c.jpg

Everything you need for your morning cup is beside the coffee pot so brew a cup and enjoy the patio in the 66 temp while mentally making to do list for today.

i used to have a coffee cup at work that said "I'm still in morning" and after a few weeks everyone knew that it was pretty much spot on. a flex time job for me and i loved it for the most part until the last six months. i could get into work by 9am and stay until 6pm. the last hour and a half of work were usually the most productive becaue then people would not be interrupting all the time.