Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ME, TOO! That's why I started my "no shop all winter" a month early :lol: if I get low, I can buy more but, this makes me use what's here! In the spring I treat myself if I've been a good user! 😁 it's normally a farm related "treat/thing" from $ saved. 👍

do you have a favorite that you'll always eat first?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule How is that little lamb doing you gave to neighbors months ago? I know I know it's not so little anymore seeing how it's been months now and animals grow so fast with proper nutrition and care.
She grew up just fine. They put her in their back yard so she could get plenty of exercise and rubbed and stretched her legs. Legs are straight now and she is a pretty girl. I gave him 2 of my older ewes, both bred and due in December. He also picked out a real nice chocolate brown ram lamb.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
do you have a favorite that you'll always eat first?
Tricky question🤔. Choco chips?:hide

I'm a veg lover, so maybe brussel sprouts -- I don't usually have as many of those. Hope to grow them 2024. Pretty much I have put up what I've grown, bartered, bought, etc to last for a year, sometimes more as crops were bountiful. Winter squashes are normally kept dry storage. Close to end of shelf life, or getting pithy, goat & chicken treats.

My delight of grandparents cellars & preservation has always formed my desire to prep. Been canning since my early 20s....55 yrs later, I'm still at it! 🤣. It's my personal retirement "savings" account.

As I drink my morning brew I consider that one of my "guilty pleasures" 😁 along with chocolate, occasional shrimp or lobster 🤔

Yesterday I picked up a bag of pecans from one of friends trees...in a p-nut field. Old home site area. The tree is loaded, so end of month I'll get more -- a winter pleasure, for sure.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tricky question🤔. Choco chips?:hide

haha! i almost put a line in there about chocolate but i was more wondering what about you would have in storage/canning that you would eat first?

we only have tomatoes in storage now other than some squash in the freezer and cooked dry beans also in the freezer. and now many quarts of chili. which is really good - i've been eating it every day since we made it and i could eat it every day for another week or two without a problem.

I'm a veg lover, so maybe brussel sprouts -- I don't usually have as many of those. Hope to grow them 2024. Pretty much I have put up what I've grown, bartered, bought, etc to last for a year, sometimes more as crops were bountiful. Winter squashes are normally kept dry storage. Close to end of shelf life, or getting pithy, goat & chicken treats.

yum! :)

My delight of grandparents cellars & preservation has always formed my desire to prep. Been canning since my early 20s....55 yrs later, I'm still at it! 🤣. It's my personal retirement "savings" account.

As I drink my morning brew I consider that one of my "guilty pleasures" 😁 along with chocolate, occasional shrimp or lobster 🤔

oh for sure i appreciate what we've put up and am so glad for it even if it took some work to do. there's really nothing better for us than all those tomatoes we put up because they get used in so many ways - they're like the electricity of food.

Yesterday I picked up a bag of pecans from one of friends trees...in a p-nut field. Old home site area. The tree is loaded, so end of month I'll get more -- a winter pleasure, for sure.

lucky you! :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug I definitely use lot of tomatoes....chunks, diced, seasoned, sauce...I can it all. Dried beans get canned for fast use in chilis, soups, etc.corn, limas, green beans and I like to have some potatoes canned. Waxy whites for a fast potato salad fix, sweets because I love them! :drool I've not run out of much over the years. Overprepared.

You plan & eat differently when only one or a couple -- than before, when kids were home. Plus you don't want to cook every night. So heat & eat rules. I just like non chemicalized home foods.

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dinner tonight was ICE CREAM seeing how I can only eat on the right side of my mouth tonight and for the next couple of days. Not sure how I am going to handle the dinner (HOMEMADE PIZZA [ 1 Pepperoni & Cheese, 1 Sausage & Cheese, 1 Pepperoni, Sausage and Cheese and 1 PLAIN Cheese plus SMOKED Chicken Wings) tomorrow night then later on we're going to do a fire and S'mores (I think) but I will figure it out.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dinner tonight was ICE CREAM seeing how I can only eat on the right side of my mouth tonight and for the next couple of days. Not sure how I am going to handle the dinner (HOMEMADE PIZZA [ 1 Pepperoni & Cheese, 1 Sausage & Cheese, 1 Pepperoni, Sausage and Cheese and 1 PLAIN Cheese plus SMOKED Chicken Wings) tomorrow night then later on we're going to do a fire and S'mores (I think) but I will figure it out.
Guess the dentist appt went okay.... not fun but you will be glad to have them out...
Hope that you can eat on the right side more comfortably tomorrow...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Calves are starting week 5. The fatted calf in front is oreos, bessey's in the middle, then daisy's is closest. yep they are changing color from black.
Screenshot_20231006-175240~4.png

I seen the strangest cattle game today. All three baby moos were butting heads and spinning around counter clockwise at the same time. Daisy saw it, walked over and watched to make sure there was no cheating! There was no winner or looser, at least that I could tell 🤷‍♂️ It looked like a cattle version of ring around the rosy to me but with no falling down.

Daisy has become the momma'est of the momma moos. This is a complete 180 for daisy, she used to be so bashful. I reckon she has a job to do now? She sure takes it seriously at looks after the baby moos.

I'm finishing up the bull pen, well actually as steer pen because Romeo is very gentle and good natured. But I'm building it bull strong. Because brisket is big boy, feisty and a supper happy steer. He jumped the finishing year fence and broke a repurposed gate. tater actually sells bull gates, they are gray instead of red. They are heavy duty, thicker, larger diameter steel and ofcourse cost more. But that's what I'm using. Farmbabe and I are also designing a milking stanchion for her to start milking.

I didn't expect claves so early. Romeo was itty bitty freshly weaned when we got him but it looks like he went right to work, big surprise to us.

Blessed to have them, Thank You 👆

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
057a1de18be90e87ea53e3040e2f4e50.jpg

Everything is by the coffee pot waiting to brew a cup (already on 2nd cup) or glass of HOMEMADE Iced Coffee.
Waiting on FH to get home, he's still working!! Yup good hours for next week paycheck but now we may not have a vehicle (it quit on him while he was sitting in it waiting to start his next shift yesterday), he says it was too overheated but who knows. Hoping it will start this AM when he gets done with work

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope your car starts and is just a minor repair.

Just thinking about what needs to get done today and having my morning coffee :rolleyes::\ Yesterday I managed to do nothing! This can't be a repeat :old

Daylight will come before long, roosters will crow, I need to mow things -- well, after dew dries! 😂