Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First turkey egg of the year 😋 I'll have to clean out and add wood shavings to their brooder.
Screenshot_20240210_170338_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday when I was doing chores, there was a poor desperate honey bee looking for something to eat in my bucket of chicken feed. Too soon for those to wake up. There are no flowers in bloom now.
Honeybees will fly all year if a warm day comes up. They don't hibernate, just cluster together to stay warm. Usually if in the corn or chicken feed they're looking for protein due to lack of pollen. They will also do a cleansing flight (potty break) at some pretty cold temps if they get a slight warm up. Neat they don't (generally) poop in the hive and a winter bee can hold it as long as a summer bee's whole life.
Here we have so many warm days without forage they can starve easier than if it was cold and they were in cluster. Activity burns calories, without anything to replace it=running out of honey before spring. Or last fall here :(.
put this little bullfrog outside that was in the garage.
Is that a tree frog?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Steer calves are coming along well.

HB on left, PR on the right. I've about got these two tamed. They come to the fence for head scratches and of coruse they have to nasty cow lick my hand. Pic taken Friday Feb 9th
Screenshot_20240209_151508_Gallery.jpg

FM is kind of a loner and standoffish, he won't have anything to do with me or anyone else for that matter. Pic taken today Feb 11th.
Screenshot_20240211_135046_Gallery.jpg

Happy to see green on the pasture again. Going to seed a pasture forage mix in the high traffic areas, here in a little bit. it's a beautiful sunny day out there.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try syruping for years. I keep forgetting about ordering taps
Maybe NOW is the time to do that :lol: ya know, you could also grow a patch of sorgham. There's seed to regrow/feed chickens & turkey; leaves to cattle, stems to cattle once you've run it thru a press for the juice; then cook down into syrup.

Of course, if you have maple trees -- ❤️ lucky you! Order taps.

Calves are looking good. 😁

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Honeybees will fly all year if a warm day comes up. They don't hibernate, just cluster together to stay warm. Usually if in the corn or chicken feed they're looking for protein due to lack of pollen. They will also do a cleansing flight (potty break) at some pretty cold temps if they get a slight warm up. Neat they don't (generally) poop in the hive and a winter bee can hold it as long as a summer bee's whole life.
Here we have so many warm days without forage they can starve easier than if it was cold and they were in cluster. Activity burns calories, without anything to replace it=running out of honey before spring. Or last fall here :(.

Is that a tree frog?
Didn't see any cups on its feet, but we do have those around here also.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe NOW is the time to do that :lol: ya know, you could also grow a patch of sorgham. There's seed to regrow/feed chickens & turkey; leaves to cattle, stems to cattle once you've run it thru a press for the juice; then cook down into syrup.

Of course, if you have maple trees -- ❤️ lucky you! Order taps.

Calves are looking good. 😁
I believe sapping season is over with around here, if it's wrapped up in SE MN already. But you are correct, I need to order taps, so I have them ready for next season.