Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My baby bro called with sad news. The Bernese Mountain Dog they bought now has leg cancer. She's 5.5 years old.

Its $10K to amputate but it will be hard for a large boned heavy dog to manage without a leg.
Its $15K to start chemo
Its $18K for radiation and then chemo.

All three solutions will give the dog maybe another year. He's choosing none of these options.

His two kids are in college - one a San Luis Obispo and the other at Riverside. The boy at Riverside has a 4.0. The girl at SLO already got an internship at a company. Both will be devastated to learn of the news. They both are heading into Midterms this coming week, so bro is hesitant to let them know...

He said the oncology vet says its typical with large boned dogs - Bernese, Rotties, Great Danes, etc.
Bro said he was hoping to get a good 8 plus years of this dog, whom they obviously love. They paid $3K for her, and another $3K for full training.

I'm sticking with the back yard breeders and pound dogs for my pets.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sad news for the dog and the whole family 😔. Yep, I'd have to go with keep comfy, then help her cross over with love. These decisions are so traumatizing but best to consider. The treatments would not be pleasant for her, no quality of life. Gut wrenching situation.

Cooler with light misty rains today. Chilly out with that. Similar tomorrow. Glad for as much as I got done in garden yesterday! My back is fine this morn but suggesting I don't repeat today -- good thing it's raining :lol:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My baby bro called with sad news. The Bernese Mountain Dog they bought now has leg cancer. She's 5.5 years old.

Its $10K to amputate but it will be hard for a large boned heavy dog to manage without a leg.
Its $15K to start chemo
Its $18K for radiation and then chemo.

All three solutions will give the dog maybe another year. He's choosing none of these options.

His two kids are in college - one a San Luis Obispo and the other at Riverside. The boy at Riverside has a 4.0. The girl at SLO already got an internship at a company. Both will be devastated to learn of the news. They both are heading into Midterms this coming week, so bro is hesitant to let them know...

He said the oncology vet says its typical with large boned dogs - Bernese, Rotties, Great Danes, etc.
Bro said he was hoping to get a good 8 plus years of this dog, whom they obviously love. They paid $3K for her, and another $3K for full training.

I'm sticking with the back yard breeders and pound dogs for my pets.
So very sorry. The personality of those huge dogs are incredible... but their lives are so short!

I too would wait and watch the pain level, then put the dog down. All of those treatment options sound bad to me.

So sorry!! :hugs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Moo Crew

Due to all the rain we've gotten, I haven't opened up the summer pasture yet, it's still pretty wet down there. The moo crew seems to be doing good on just the winter pasture and finishing yard. IDK but I may keep the summer pasture closed until after first hay.
Screenshot_20240518_170354_Gallery.jpg

Romeo is about done sheding his winter coat.
Screenshot_20240518_170305_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Apparently, laying in bed and hollering "coffee pot activate" is not a thing. IDK... maybe I drempt it? But why is it not a thing yet?

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
For many years now they have had one with a clock and auto mode. I set mine for 15-30 minutes before the alarm. Great when you need to get going without the time to let percolate and drink before leaving.

Latest posts