Cold Frames

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As the Title says , What do you grow in your cold frames ??

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don’t have cold frames but I’m interested… following!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me too, also interested.

I build a "box" with a glass lid once that classified as a cold frame. I put a thermometer in it and noted the temperature inside the "box". I seem to recall the widest swing in temperature was 45 degrees outside and over 100 degrees inside the "box" on a sunny day. It was more of a hassle babysitting the "box" trying to figure out when to prop the top to cool the box down, than it is to start seedlings inside and harden them off outside before transplanting in the garden.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, babysitting the box can be difficult. But if you have a short grow season it may be time we'll spent. For some, no inside spot so outside protection is next best option. Either way, less cost than buying starts!

I think a temp gauge that sends info to a remote would be my consideration for a more convenient way to monitor. Most days you could just look and go.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
there are automatic window lifters for greenhouses that you might be able to adapt. They have some sort of liquid that expands as the temp rises, and you can set it for different temps