milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm also a seed collector. I've got a lot of morning glory, moon flower, and hollyhock seeds from plants that were originally my grandmother's and then my father's gardens (she's been gone for 20+ years now, and he's been gone for 6) We just keep planting and saving the seeds year after year. I'm always picking up seed packets to try something new, then saving any seeds I can to regrow. We've moved a lot, so it's always a challenge to see what will grow in the new areas. I recently planted saved Cana lily, iris, and tiger lily roots that I brought south with me. All seem to be doing well. I'm babying apple seeds from my grandmother's old McIntosh apple tree (might have to graft a few branches). It's always nice to keep things growing. It helps keep memories alive. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm also a seed collector. I've got a lot of morning glory, moon flower, and hollyhock seeds from plants that were originally my grandmother's and then my father's gardens (she's been gone for 20+ years now, and he's been gone for 6) We just keep planting and saving the seeds year after year. I'm always picking up seed packets to try something new, then saving any seeds I can to regrow. We've moved a lot, so it's always a challenge to see what will grow in the new areas. I recently planted saved Cana lily, iris, and tiger lily roots that I brought south with me. All seem to be doing well. I'm babying apple seeds from my grandmother's old McIntosh apple tree (might have to graft a few branches). It's always nice to keep things growing. It helps keep memories alive. :)

:welcome LOVE your screen name! :D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am saving tomato seeds this year. I read that they had to be fermented first to get the snot off them, so they would germinate better. So I put them in a cup with water for several days until they got a scum on top. Then I fished the seeds out and placed on a paper towel to dry. We'll see how it goes.

I save bean seeds-that's easy. I bought Thai #3 long green bean seeds on year from Baker Creek and have saved and planted them every year since. I also sent seeds to other people. I'm also saving cantaloupe seeds this year. I've saved zinnia seeds before, but I only had a couple of colors. I need to buy more seeds next year.

Right now I have corn spread out on a table on the porch to dry. I'll make cornmeal and save the best for seeds. It's Hastings Prolific white dent corn, the stalks get from 10' to 18' tall. Most of mine were 12' tall. They bear up to 3 ears per stalk. I didn't take the best of care of mine, but I got a good showing, despite my neglect. The best ears are 14" long. The shucks were wrapped tight and I had minimal worm damage. Next year I'll be able to plant more!

I saved zucchini seeds, but they probably crossed with the yellow squash.

I have a weakness for seeds. I always order too many......

I've been saving seeds for many years. If you have a old piece of window screen that's the best way to dry tomato seeds. Then place them in a container with one of those little silica gel packets that sucks up moisture. Store in a dark place if your storing in glass jars. But your right they do need to be fermented. Use filtered spring water wall Mart sells a gallon jug for .88. my tap water like most everyone else's has clorine so it don't work so well for this kind of stuff...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you have chlorinated tap water, you can put it in an open container overnight, and then you should be able to use it without a problem. The chlorine (supposedly) evaporates. I do this if I have to water any plants with tap water (I save rain water when I can). Using chlorinated tap water to water plants (or for seeds) can ruin them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I store my saved tomato seeds in the freezer...individual envelopes with the moisture absorbers in them and then sealed inside a half pint canning jar.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I am saving tomato seeds this year. I read that they had to be fermented first to get the snot off them, so they would germinate better. So I put them in a cup with water for several days until they got a scum on top. Then I fished the seeds out and placed on a paper towel to dry. We'll see how it goes.
I've never heard of or done this. I always scoop out as many seeds as I want to save and remove as much of the (I have to say snot now lol) off it, before placing it on a saucer or something on the window sill. After a few days I remove the skin that formed over and around the seeds and pack it away in something. We often saved seeds in those handy little resealable plastic bags the banks hand out, that you're supposed to use for putting coins in.