College...not worth it....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
the point is that if no one was willing to fight there would be no war. I am not blaming the people who do chose to serve, but it is a fact that there is no war without soldiers.
Since the dawn of mankind, there has always been someone willing to take something from someone weaker. Soldiering as a profession is new, but those willing to protect others from aggression and fight those who would destroy their families have always existed and they always will exist.

If there were no policemen tomorrow, that doesn't mean there would be no crime anymore than no soldiers = no war.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
the point is that if no one was willing to fight there would be no war. I am not blaming the people who do chose to serve, but it is a fact that there is no war without soldiers.
Since the dawn of mankind, there has always been someone willing to take something from someone weaker. Soldiering as a profession is new, but those willing to protect others from aggression and fight those who would destroy their families have always existed and they always will exist.

If there were no policemen tomorrow, that doesn't mean there would be no crime anymore than no soldiers = no war.
If there were no soldiers, who would fight wars?

And I am not interested in arguing about this really, I was just responding to someone who said something to the effect of "what if everyone felt this way?" My thought was that if everyone felt this way, no one would be going off to war.

Policemen are not fighting each other- they are fighting criminals. Somehow, I see a big difference.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Have you ever watched nature shows? All animals stake out territory and then happily invade one another as resources dwindle.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yes abi. Fighting for territory, mating rights, food sources....every single species on the planet. Even plants duke it out but on a much slower scale.

Soldiers exist because of the simple fact that humans fight. In order for nobody to ever fight...well...Joss Wheton addressed this concept in his movie Serenity.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, that just makes me sad is all. Seems so pointless.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Don't feel sad. I wasn't consulted on the creation of the universe either. I would have done things differently too :D

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Don't feel sad. I wasn't consulted on the creation of the universe either. I would have done things differently too :D
:)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
:gig

Yes, well. I think it is GOOD that species duke it out. Otherwise we wouldn't evolve :) I just wish humans wanted to use that fancy new fangled frontal lobe to think thoughts and make choices.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used to feel as you do OK, when I was younger. There are fallacies in your argument however. To say that policemen protecting you from criminals is different from soldiers protecting you from the enemy just doesn't cut it. If there are criminals in this country that need policing, it follows logically that there are criminals elsewhere as well. Some of them are in positions of power and will send armies toward you and your loved ones. Not everyone that is a soldier is one because they WANT to be.

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This thread has wandered too far off topic causing reports. Thank you for your participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.