College students leaving town

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Its that time of year again, pay attention folks, if you live in a college community start checking out the dumpsters. In May of last year I got so many wonderful things.
8 sheets of plywood ( beer game tables)
10 cinder blocks
8 6x10s
2 brand new comforters
5 blow dryers
3 plastic drawer sets
many sheets and pillow cases
pots and pans
dishes
2 dorm fridges
the list goes on.........
Happy Hunting

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is amazeing what those college kids will throw away! My brother used to work for Oxford University...in Ohio. He LOVED this time of year! He would score literally truckloads of microwaves, TV's, bedframes, bedding, dressers, dishes, lamps.....and then have a HUGH sale later. :) Its just about an hr drive for me, but I really wish I could go load up with thier "throw aways" What a waste!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That's how DH got every dorm sized fridge he ever owned. He still has one in the garage. :rolleyes:
This was UCONN's spring weekend. I knew a family in the school where I worked that would show up at 3am to the campus and collect bottles that had been left lying around. They made hundreds of dollars.

card5640

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh yes I forgot to include returnables in our haul last year, Maine has a 5 cent return, we easily made 30$ in one apartment complex. A few students were moving today and I got a dresser for a family I know that needs one, a little rough on the top but I had some white spray paint and it looks wonderful now.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Back in grad school, I and most of my fellow students would have been living a much lower standard of living if it werent for the undergrads :p (Would have been better TO have that lower standard of living and not have them waste so incredibly unbelievably much, of course, but, still)

Two pieces of advice:

-- find out when finals week is; the last few days of finals week, when most studenst are moving out, are by far the 'ripest pickings'.

-- be cautious, as dumpster diving is generally illegal and while campus police tend to let students *of that school* off with a stern warning IME, I have seen nonstudents hauled off in campus police cars (no clue what the result of that was, but still probably best avoided). IME you are not too llikely to attract adverse attention if you just walk around the dumpster and grab something that is outside or easily reachable, but actually going in there and rummaging is more apt to lead to inconvenient results

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, who (back when) used to find things like brand-new clothes with store tags still attached. Sheesh.