Colowyo - grudgingly settling in :P

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sounds like it is coming together nicely!!! WOOT!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You tell him to quit whining and man up ....my family only gets 1/2 cup of sugar in a gallon of tea! :p

I can understand how he feels about the move. I would be a total mess. I hate to move.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mmm. Chilis. I love their shiner bock ribs. With a side of loaded mash taters and a side salad. Love the corn and cuke cubes they put in their salad. Throw in a Malibu and Coke and I am set to get my munch on. Enjoy.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, definitely have it under control :) Especially since I'm not letting SO pack or carry anything else fragile. He had just finished packing the holiday ornaments yesterday, and then tried to stand up with the box on his lap. Box fell, and four of the five blown glass ornaments broke. It upset him because they were ornaments he's had for a while, they were the ones they used to sell at pier one when he used to work there. One of them was an Italian one. :rolleyes: So, no more him packing the valuables :)

FF - I told him what you said, he laughed. Laughed even more when I read him what I posted and said it was true :)

HF - yeah, I like chilis alright, but I love outback :D I usually just get the grilled salmon and rice at chilis. I know I can eat it :) It was fun going out and not paying for anything, especially since I left my wallet at home and was driving! :hide

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
8 days left! Maybe it should be seven? If I say it right, it's 7 days until we leave. Cause you don't count today, and you don't count the day we leave :) Yay!! 7 days until we leave! :woot

Today I need to:
Pull the meat of the carcasses and freeze it, and put the carcasses back in to finish leeching :)
Start working on dismantling the coop, the duck run, and moving the duck house back to it's original position
Make breakfast
Go to the In-Laws storage unit with the the family today to move the washer and dryer to the front of the unit, and do some "Shopping" while we are there
- this storage unit houses all the stuff leftover from the house in Arvada, which was where SO's grandfather and Aunt lived until Aunt died. Grandfather moved into assisted living and they sold the house, this is the stuff leftover from what they got rid of or furnished his living space with.
Have SO go through the stuff in the spare bedroom and put it into good boxes.

Will add more to this list later I'm sure :) Later this week, probably Thursday, I'll wash clothes all day and put everything away, and then have SO go through his clothes that evening and pick out clothes to wear for Friday through Tuesday, I'll do the same thing with mine, and the rest will get packed.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always packed luggage for the last few days. Everyone was to live out of their luggage, everything else was packed. Works great. Kids knew they had to pack their clothes, toothbrush, hairbrush etc. That way I could pack the bathroom to bare bones and not worry about anyone having their toothbrush or whatever. If they forgot to pack it in their luggage, they did without or if it was critical we bought a new one. But once a box was packed it was untouchable. At least that s the threat I made them. heehee.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I always packed luggage for the last few days. Everyone was to live out of their luggage, everything else was packed. Works great. Kids knew they had to pack their clothes, toothbrush, hairbrush etc. That way I could pack the bathroom to bare bones and not worry about anyone having their toothbrush or whatever. If they forgot to pack it in their luggage, they did without or if it was critical we bought a new one. But once a box was packed it was untouchable. At least that s the threat I made them. heehee.
Definitely the case here as well :) So much so that I am going to contact the library today and tell them to send me the bill to replace two books we apparently have overdue. Can't find them, and I did look in the boxes of packed books. So, I will just replace them for the library, and if we find them in Kansas we will just add them to our home library :)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, for several weeks before we took care of all the chickens, we were getting no eggs, or at most one egg a day. It was kind of sad really. I knew they had dropped production because of the heat and all, but they had started to slowly pick up a bit as the weather got a little bit cooler. And then they dropped off again. And today we discovered why:
DSCN1249.jpg

We had this stupid cardboard box on our back deck, partially covered by a tarp. Apparently the lovely hamburg duo were laying their eggs in this box for several weeks! :he :he :smack stupid birds.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Overview of Monday:
Did not make breakfast, however I was allowed to sleep until 10 am :)
Did go to the storage unit(s) - apparantly there are two
- did not get the washer and dryer. Those storage units were not build well, they have mice in them something fierce and the washer and dryer both have mouse poop and other things in the basins. we are not hauling that to kansas. I have no problems hanging clothes on a line, and/or doing them at the laundry mat.
- did not get the shelving unit SO wanted either. it's not in as good of shape as it was when we left the Arvada house.
Did start the dismantling process on the coop, run and sundry. got the wall panels all off the coop, and two of three ceiling panels off. just need to take the third panel off and take apart the frame. Also, need to finish dismantling the duck run :)
Did pull the meat from the carcasses, put them in bowls and covered with plastic wrap and stuck in the fridge to cool before freezing. Forgot about them, so will need to bag them up and freeze them on Tuesday :) :rolleyes:
SO did not go through the stuff in the spare bedroom. However, after whining and groaning about how "I don't feel good. I'm all tired and junk. I just want to lay here and die" for the umpteenth time, I finally told him that he could either lay there and feel sorry for himself, or he could get off his backside and do something productive, which would actually help him to feel better. Then I went outside. Shortly after he joined me outside :D He scrubbed the sidewalk in the back of the house where the worst of the chicken poop was, scrubbed out the sheep watering trough that we used as a indoor brooder, and then filled it with water from the hose and from the shower and took an outside soak :rolleyes: :lol: he did also cut the zip ties on 2/3rds of the duck run so two sides would fall apart for me, so that helped out as well. He said later when we went to get dinner that I was right :gig :gig he did end up feeling better for getting stuff done :smack