Come on Sufficient Self, lets push for an Animal and Garden section!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is sort of a spin off from the shop thread. But I firmly believe and have advocated for a while that we should have an Animal and a Garden section.

What are they called?

Sustainable Gardening & Orcharding

Sustainable Livestock

Why are they needed here?

1. This is a major part of any homestead. Nearly anybody who is interested in Self Reliance has a garden and some kind(s) of animals.

2. I firmly believe it will attract any new members because I know three years when I started out we didn't have solar panels and dont plan on getting them. We (like most other) focus on the food section.

3. Sure we have BYC, TEG, and BYH. BUT members here take a different perspective. We look at it and look for ways to frugally and naturally get the end product be it meat, eggs or veggies.

4. And currently these are the most talked about aspects in journals and in the everything else sub forum. These topics seem to dominate it more so than others.

So how does everyone else feel?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree, BYC is ok, but I am not interested in my birds as pets. I see them as more of a product and that is touchy subject on the other site. It would also be nice to consolidate things here instead of bouncing around from each site.
Nancy

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's why I don't stay over on BYC much anymore. House chickens and hysensitivity over eating them got old :/ It'd be nice to have those sections here BB.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
y'know, i rarely even look at the actual sections (i always just check the list of recently-updated posts), and i never once noticed that there isn't an animal/garden section. i just assumed it was there. especially since everyone talks so much about their animals/gardens anyway :D i mean, the POW is turkeys, even...

now i'm honestly kind of baffled as to why there wouldn't be an official section for that. i agree that you could just go to the sister forum sites, but, i also agree that there's a bit of a perspective difference between SS types and non-SS people. it just would make sense for that subject to be represented here as well. and like the hunting section, if we did have people here who didn't want to read about eating chicken (or whatever), then they could just know to avoid that category.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think this would be a great idea!

Yea there is BYC and BYH but as stated, we here have a different agenda than other forums.

I would like more info as how to be SS in feeding my livestock and chickens.

So you got my vote!:thumbsup

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree that the animal and garden focus is different than you would find on easy garden or BYH. Although some of us at BYH are VERY SS in our animal practices, even though we have fairly large operations, I still think the forum would benefit from it.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not really opposed to the idea, and y'all make some very good points regarding one forum's focus and personality compared to another. We just want to make sure that the decision makes sense.

So, please keep the ideas coming!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Barred is right. We need Grow Your Own/Orchards and Livestock. When you are SS you definitely thrive towards these 2 subjects. They are huge!

Also-----Other Power Generation - Hydro, Geo, etc. should be gone. (Can't that easily fall under Everything Else Energy? It has only 27 topics and there is hardly nomovement in that category)

Combine Solar and Wind Power. They don't need to be separate. Because when someone posts it will clearly be a topic regarding solar or wind. Not like someone can't figure it out.

So we gain 2 that are absolute SS categories that the traffic would be huge in discussion and combine 2 energy categories.

See--a win/win