Community service pays off

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My DH has always been very community oriented and we have always taken care of our elderly neighbors. Last year an elderly neighbor had a problem with his septic. The septic guy came out and said his system no longer met code and he would have to replace the entire system. DH and I thought it was a scam based on a technicality. The guy said he couldn't fix it he would lose his license. So DH and the old guy spent the better part of a day in his septic tank fixing it. Nasty job, but he needed the help.

This past storm I made extra food and DH delivered it when he went to plow him out. Today the guy stopped by and gave me a sizable check. He said it was what he could afford, but that he thought he should pay DH at least part of what it would have cost him to replace the septic.....

DH is one of the few human beings I know who is genuinely good all the way through (No, I am not one of them, I am usually good because I see him being good or I think about it.) He did what he did without any expectations and now when we need it it is coming back for him.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wonderfull. NO good deed goes un noticed. That was nice of your DH to help the neighbor. What a stinky job tho! :sick

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
What a sweetheart!

We had a senior next door who owned three adjacent properties. She was on Social security and a small pension, so she rented out the small cottage next to us. The renter guy turned out to be a world class jerk, complained about everything, demanding she fix or lower the rent. She finally began refusing so he moved out and called the health dept on her. They interviewed us about her septic, we said there were no problems that we were aware of, no smell or standing water.
Still, the complaint had been filed and she was forced to completely replace the entire systems for all 3 houses. She never rented out the cottage again. Zoning prohibited splitting the lot so that wasn't a sale option.
We decided to replace our lines after seeing all that, be proactive ;), so we contacted the guy who did her work because he had all the stats and codes that the health dept demanded.
Got it done real cheap because, as we found out later, he was worried that we would complain about his work on her property!!

No good Samaritan story like yours really, but I do think the elderly are victims of opportunists. Had we known what a jerk the guy was we would have intervened.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have one of those guys :love

A few years ago hubby found $300 CASH laying in a parking lot of the local grocery store. Even though we were poor, it never occurred to him to keep it. He contacted the store, said he found some money in the parking lot and if someone came by saying they lost cash to call him.

Turned out to be some little old lady who lost her bingo winnings. AND it turned out she was a friend of the mom of friends of ours. At a party a few weeks later my friend started telling me the story about some really nice honest guy who found her mom's friend's cash is a parking lot...LOL

I got to proudly say "That was Ed!"

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
What nice stories!

We have volunteered for years in the field of dog rescue and have always felt "paid back" in one way or another even though we have never been paid.

Wifezilla, you must have been proud!