"company's coming" sweet potatoes

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I make these all the time and they are my husband's favorite!

Ingredients:

Sweet potatoes, cleaned and trimmed of bad spots (skin on or off is preference)
applesauce
brown sugar
cinnamon
chopped pecans
butter

Slice sweet potatoes into 1-2 inch rounds and boil in water until just tender. (you want them to be a little firm so they don't fall apart)

Transfer the sweet potato slices to a shallow baking dish. Spread a thin layer of applesauce on top of each slice. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of the applesauce. Top with chopped pecans and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never really liked sweet potatoes, but my MIL makes a killer casserole with them.

Cook enough sweet potatoes to get about 3 1/2 to 4 cups mashed.

After you have mashed them, run a mixer through them at low speed, stopping it occasionally to remove the "strings" that will collect on the beaters. (You can compost this or feed to livestock). Be careful because this will be HOT.

Once you are left with a smooth bowl full of sweet 'taters, measure 3 cups of 'taters, 1 cup sugar (I'm sure you can use honey if you so prefer) 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk or 6 oz of Pet milk in the can, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 4 tablespoons butter.

Combine all, stirring well until butter is melted. Put in cassarole dish.

TOPPING

1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter (softened)
1/3 cup self rising

Mix it well together and crumble over top of the potatoes. Sprinkle coconut and chopped nuts on top (enough to cover the potatoes, but the amounts are up to you).

Bake @ 350 for 30 to 45 mins.