Compost pile not "working"

Gypsi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Water is also necessary to composting, if the pile is dry, nothing happens. I just pile mine, all wet and mucky, and give it a year. It gets there eventually. When the pile is too tall I start a new one. I break down compost piles in the spring, and start new ones at the same time.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Cow manure can be put onto a garden straight, but horse manure can't. I know the middle of our horse manure pile (which is admittedly pretty large) is always steaming in winter when you open it up. Maybe more manure would help?

Getting ready to attempt some compost myself... I am a bit concerned that this isn't quite the right season, but what the heck, I might as well get started, now or never right?
Some manures are to strong to be put on immediately, some have to rot. Chickens, duck, horse have to be composted. Rabbit can be put straight on I think, and maybe horse poop too,

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Composting is easy--unless you want to do it hot and fast, like you:rolleyes: Then there are so many variables...like Dawn419 says, it's almost impossible to get it to work in 14 days. To do so you have to have just the right balance of carbon to nitrogen, the right level of moisture, and the right size of pile. Which brings me to my observation. You don't say how big your pile is. To get it to heat up quickly you need mass, 9 cubic feet is good (3x3x3). Then, as it heats, it uses up the oxygen quickly, so you need to turn it once a day to keep feeding the bacteria. If your pile is smaller, you probably won't ever get it to heat up like you want. It will compost, but it takes longer. The suggestions about monitoring the moisture level and covering it are good ones and will really help. Good luck!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good tips everyone. My pile is NOT very big at all. I think you are right about not having enough mass to get it going. The grass is actually green around here yet (which is amazing for December 20th. Usually under 10' of snow already!!!) I think I will try and get some green grass cut and throw that in there and then you are right it probably is TOO dry. I did water it but that was a while ago. I dont mind the slow composting necessarily but i would like to have a nice batch at least for this spring for planting. I think i need to get more mass and that sounds like that should help too.

Did someone mention worms??? How would i order worms?? Can you just order them over the internet?? really?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep, you can order worms on-line! Uncle Jim's Worm Farm is one. Just do a google search for worms for the compost pile.

One trick I like to use to attract worms to a specific area is by putting down a thick layer of dampened cardboard or newspaper or a combination of both and then covering them with a pile of damp/wet leaves. Cardboard and newspaper are huge worm magnets! :cool: You can also use paper feed bags.

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think worms and hot composting go together.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Urine is a great way to hot up a pile- just pee into a bucket and dump it on (or have the menfolk in your life pee directly on the pile- the young ones get a real kick out of it). It has lots of nitrogen and other stuff in it. And before you get all squeamish about it- urine is sterile (although it's better than a petri dish for growing bacteria).

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Britesea said:
Urine is a great way to hot up a pile- just pee into a bucket and dump it on (or have the menfolk in your life pee directly on the pile- the young ones get a real kick out of it). It has lots of nitrogen and other stuff in it. And before you get all squeamish about it- urine is sterile (although it's better than a petri dish for growing bacteria).
Well, ill have to have my son and hubby go out there in the middle of the night cuz we still live in town and the compost pile is surrounded by neighbors.... noisy neighbors too!!! But im sure my 10 yr old would think its pretty cool that im letting him pee outside

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BirdBrain said:
I don't think worms and hot composting go together.
Actually...you'd be surprised at how early they move into a "hot" pile of manure and hay out of the barn that one can see steaming in the cooler morning air. They may not be right in the really hot parts but they are certainly working their way into the fringe and underlying areas.