Compost thermometer

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a compost thermometer several years ago. I LOVED it! It helped me keep tabs on my compost bin - turn it at just the right time or leave it alone. I was able to make compost real fast using it.

I've searched high and low for a new one but even garden center employees look at me with blank stares when I ask if they have any. They don't even know what it is. :/

I MISS MY COMPOST THERMOMETER!!! :hit Where can I find a new one?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly I've always used the "poke a stick in to start a hole, then stuff your arm in there and see how hot it is" method. You're looking for temperatures hotter than you can comfortably hold your hand in for more than a second or two.

If you want numbers, get an instant-read kitchen thermometer (about $15, more or less depending on features, from any well-stocked cooking accessories department) and hold that in your hand when you stick it in there.

If you really want to buy a compost thermometer, you are likely to have to go online. I strongly suspect Lee Valley has one although I am too lazy and dialuppy to actually look myself :p or google < "compost thermometer" price > for a bunch of other options.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Naw, I just use the Patandchickens method. Stick your arm down into the goo and see if it feels hot! :hu

My manure pile (now about 6 years old) still has steam coming from it!

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ummm, :sick . You know, I have no issues changing diapers, butchering cute rabbits, pulling guts out of a turkey carcass, or going in to rearrange a stuck kid but knowing what is in my compost, I can't get myself to take the plunge. >.< I admire you all for being so brave. LOL BUT, thank you for the suggestion. It's a very good one. :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
You can also find them on eBay starting just under $25 and with free shipping.

Latest posts