Compost Tumbler

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
This isn't my idea. I just came across it on Craigslist and have decided to make a couple for myself. They are easy to make, and the seller has the on CL regularly, so I would "assume" that he finds buyers (although they seem pretty high for what they are, at least to me). Might be a good way to make a few dollars for yourself.

Below is a link to the CL message.

Compost Tumblers

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is a pretty awesome idea!! Seems easy to make too. Hey I think I could make that!!

Most of my vegetative waste goes right into my garden tucked under the mulch, but the horse poo and other "needs to age" stuff goes into a pile under the trees far away from the house. I would totally "dig" (ha ha) having a compost tumbler like that!

Reaction score
That furniture dolly turned upside down is a fantastic idea. Dont forget to put a bar through the center of the barrel to help agitate the dirt.

Thanks

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
That furniture dolly turned upside down is a fantastic idea. Dont forget to put a bar through the center of the barrel to help agitate the dirt.

Thanks
Hey Big Daddy,

Where has Farmerlor been?

How would you put that bar through the center?

Reaction score
I googled composters and there's a couple step by step instructions. The one I saw the guy cut square holes in the ends of the barrel and stuck a square tube through it. I was thinking of going to HD and having them cut a section of 3/4"Dia pipe about 2" longer than my barrel and have them thread both ends. Then drill a hole in the center on each end the same size as the OD of the pipe. Then thread some of those flanges they have that thread on to the ends and put bolts through the holes in the flanges. The flanges are the type you see on some rails for porch steps on older houses. I have steel 55 gallon drums. I'll also drill some 3/8" holes in the ends to let fluids out. Of course this is all pipe dreams. I have so much fencing to do and I have a bad back so I can't pound too many T-posts in one setting. I always have grand plans that don't get accomplished on the schedule I would like. Comes with being middle age, overweight and limited income. Wish I could pay someone to do some of the stuff.

Lor is setting 3 ft away doing homework. She'll be back.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like I broke my free compost bin from the city. I was thinking about getting a tumbler anyway, since the compost is too heavy for me to turn by hand, and I don't think I'm getting enough air in there to have it work properly. I came across this video on youtube, and thought I would share. It looks pretty easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBh4BHmczI

Now I just have to (1) find barrels (I want two, so I can work on filling one while the other...well...composts), and (2) convince DH to build me a couple.

(I'd love to see the one linked at the beginning of the thread too, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore.)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
(I'd love to see the one linked at the beginning of the thread too, but the link doesn't seem to work anymore.)
It was a Craigslist ad that has since expired. If you will e-mail me at em46ff-ss@yahoo.com I will send you a pdf file that I made of the ad. It has the photos that shows how the tumbler is made.

Mark

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have an end over end tumbler. It is really hard to turn. When one end gets heavy it's really hard to heave ho it so it flips over. It's one of those thick black plastic ones on a stand. Maybe my mix that went in was off. I think I would like to try the metal ones that lay on their sides. I can visualize the furniture dolly. My neighbor built one and screwed the wheels to a pallet.

Maybe I can take a picture of it.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I mostly like the post part of this idea. I bet you could still suspend the barrel horizontally.

Latest posts