Composting Beginner

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I found an old wire waste basket outside while walking the dog. I asked my husband if his mom was using it for anything and he said she didn't want it. It was just sitting around. So I'm now using it as my makeshift compost bin. The bottom is wire so it is exposed to the ground underneath. I've already started putting waste in it.

I was wondering if I need to put a top on it.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd try it without a top on it and see how that works.

Compost seems to do better exposted to the elements IMHO.
I've had to put a top on mine. All the local creatures would get in and eat what I was supposed to be composting.

I had a watermelon that had gone past it's prime, so I cut it up and put it in. The next day it was eaten down to the rind. They had also eaten the half head of lettuce and took a couple bites of an over ripe tomato.

It's aggrevating because I have to water my pile since there's a lid on it.

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a problem with raccoons around here. They raid people's trash all the time. I checked on the bin when I took the dog out to the bathroom and it had been tipped over. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep it standing upright and possibly add a lid, or get a different bin.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of those compost tumblers before? I saw someone on craigslist that has made his own with a wooded frame and painted the barrel black and just fills it and turns it every day a few times and it is suppost to make compost in like 2-3 weeks or something. I got an advertisement in the mail for one too but I'm guessing this one was WAYYYYY more expensive.

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Has anyone used one of those compost tumblers before? I saw someone on craigslist that has made his own with a wooded frame and painted the barrel black and just fills it and turns it every day a few times and it is suppost to make compost in like 2-3 weeks or something. I got an advertisement in the mail for one too but I'm guessing this one was WAYYYYY more expensive.
The tumblers take more like 30 days. Went to a horticulture symposium just over a week ago, and we had a speaker on composting. That's what he said. But it can be much faster than piles that just sit there. I am thinking about getting one this year. Another method that lots of Master Gardeners that I know use is to just dig a trench, dump whatever in there, then bury it. They say it works like a charm. I had several volunteer spaghetti squash plants in my compost pile last year and they were the best plants in the garden. I didn't even water them. They got run-off from the carrots. And I'm a neglectful composter, so I don't know how much of my pile had actually turned into compost when the squash started growing.

Soybean...coffee grounds are about a 30:1 ratio, so closer to a green. but really, you want a 30:1 ratio, so coffee grounds should be perfect for your compost. As for the raccoons, you might want to try what DH and I did a few years ago. We put it all in a rubbermaid garbage can, then partially buried it in the soil. Before burying, we punched some holes in the side for water drainage, and more in the lid for aeration and to allow rainwater in. Our only problem was "turning" the pile, since it was a big garbage can. But maybe a smaller rubbermaid tote box would work better. Just keep it a manageable size for you. If you are really handy, I suppose you could make some sort of stand for a garbage can, and turn it into a tumbler.

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting a rubbermaid trash can, not too large, but big enough and cutting out the middle of the lid and attaching wire mesh to it. That way rain can easily fall into the can and it can also air out. The mesh will keep any kritters out. I think burying it partially is a good idea too. I will try it this month and see what happens. I'll try and take some pictures.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Or you could leave it on the surface and roll it around on occasion, to emulate the compost tumblers. :D

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That could be fun. :lol:

I have to wait till rent is paid, but as soon as that is done tomorrow, then I'm going to the garden store and will also make a trip to lowes to see what I can find.